Skip navigation

2600 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2006 3:18 PM by thejen RSS
mfire51 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2005 11:24 AM

Saddle sores/folliculitis/boils

Anyone...please have an answer for me.  I have been riding for about a year and have been seriously racing since March.  I have had saddle sores/folliculitis/boils consistantly since around last fall.  To start with, I have had a professional laser fit, new bike, have tried 7 saddles (mountain, women's specific and men's, saddles with love channels, saddles with cutouts, saddles with flexible sit bone areas).  I use A&D ointment first, then chami cream before I ride.  I remove my shorts asap and wash with antibacterial body wash.  Lastly I use A&D cream.  It doesn't matter if I'm on the trainer or on the road, I get "whatever they are" along my "um" how do I say it, bony area where my inner thigh meets my groin.  I have never had problems with my sit bones or buttocks.  I have shaved in that area, but lately I have stopped since it may be ingrown hairs that are getting trapped.  I also have hard pea size bumps underneath the skin that sometimes come to a head or I have to relieve them.  That is why I think they may be boils.  Can anyone please help me figure out and stop this from happenning.  Is it riding position, anatomy, I truely am at my whits end.  Michelle

• mountainchik Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 14, 2005 1:46 PM (in response to mfire51)
    Re: Saddle sores/folliculitis/boils

Hi Michelle,

I haven't heard of exactly what you are describing but it may be rash/heat rash & what we here in colorado call saddle sores.

Go buy yourself a tube or 2 or 3 of Body Glide. Us gals here in Colorado glide it on our High end/expensive but quality bike shorts - just glide it like a deodorant stick on your biking shorts and inner legs and be generous with it.

All of the other products that you are using are causing friction instead of preventing it.

I also use this stuff for running / use on inner thighs and when wearing skirts in the summer - inner thighs. It also works for underarm areas where a shirt may cause irritation.

If you don't get help from this, contact a serious sport supportive center such as Boulder Center for Sports Medicine in boulder colorado. Another option is contact women's specific sporting stores. Not knowing where you live, here in Colorado, we have Title 9, The sporting Woman and again Boulder Center for Sports medicine because they have lots of women that spend long, long, long training hours on bikes and my bet would be they have seen and heard it all.

If you would like some phone numbers to these places, send me an email to larmijo@rxkinetix.com and I would be glad to help you out.

Good Luck.

Laurie in Colorado

• Maj.Taylor Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 24, 2005 9:25 PM (in response to mfire51)

I have found it very helpful to shower both before and after riding. The problem is caused by bacteria growth and cleanliness is the best preventative measure. And for whatever it is worth, saddles sores are a common affliction among cyclists. They tend to go with the territory.

That said, the other suggestions offered here may also help. I also use a little cortisone cream every 3-4 days or so. You do not wish to use too much since it can actually break down the skin with overuse.

Happy miles.

• jduppler87 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jun 1, 2006 10:03 AM (in response to mfire51)

in a related topic, what's everyone's opinion about shaving? Does it hurt or help the problem?

thanks

• helminger Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 14, 2006 1:21 AM (in response to mfire51)

hey michelle,

i've been riding centuries on the weekends now for a little over a month. during the week, i bike at least 15 miles/day 4x/week. once i moved up to the century length ride, i also got boils. i tried a lot of similar products you've described. recently, i made the switch to a different pair of shorts. my new ones have a very simple chamois, not one of those elaborate looking, extra padding kind. i also make sure to pull my shorts up all the way to remove any extra loose short material. since then, the boils have receded and i think i'm in the clear. i also shave and have for years. i've never had problems before as a result of it, but from doing research on boils, they say that small cuts may allow bacteria to enter and consequently cause boils. check out wikipedia for details

• thejen Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 23, 2006 3:18 PM (in response to mfire51)

I had a problem with saddle sores (not exactly where yours are) that I solved by using an alcohol wipe in the area before every ride.  Maybe that will help you?

To the poster who switched shorts to one with a simpler chamois, what brand and model of shorts are those?  I might like to try them.

Thanks,  Jenn

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...