Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

584 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 6:56 PM by brndog RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 21, 2012 4:59 AM

Runs & workouts, Friday, September 21, 2012

Mike, I hope you get your 25 miles this week.

No running for me today. Heading up to the Adirondacks after lunch, where I have a house, for the weekend. A friend of mine who is 62 and laid off from work is keeping the wood pellet stove burning and the pipes from freezing. If you live outside the Northeast, the Adirondacks are in upstate New York. No internet service at my house: it is in a remote area, and surrounded by state-owned land. My place is near Saranac Lake/Lake Placid, where they had the Winter Olympics. Tomorrow my friend and I will play in a small local chess tournament in Saranac Lake.

Gentlemen, while I am away, I hope you all have good runs; and don't take any wooden nickels. See you here again Monday, most likely.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Sep 21, 2012 9:10 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Friday, September 21, 2012

Enjoy the break DH and good luck in the tournament...

4 easy miles for me today on the railtrail.  Tapering is starting to have a effect, I'm feeling pretty good.  With the marathon just over a week to go, I think I'm right on track.

Saw something unusual during the run, a hawk was after a crow.  They were in flight and the hawk was a little smaller than the crow, but from the noise you could tell the crow was distressed.  I didn't see the outcome, they went out of site.

Over the years I've seen all sorts of critters on that trail, deer, a bobcat, fox, a bull moose, a mother black bear with cubs, coyotes, wild turkeys and last but not least, snapping turtles in the spring when they come out of the local pond to lay their eggs.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    2. Sep 21, 2012 1:39 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

DH,  My oldest sister and her husband have a cabin near there.  Very pretty.  Good luck with the chess!

Rich, that's quite the array of wildlife.  We tucked in between the bay and the middle of town, so our local fauna isn't so diverse.  We have to grow our own, so to speak - chickens, dogs, cats, parrots, goldfish and a 23 year old reeves turtle.

Wasn't feeling it today, so took an easy 6.25 mile run, might be the temp 83F...We're leaving tomorrow to hike south of Yosemite on Sunday.

Ray

• brndog Expert 50 posts since
    Jun 14, 2005
    3. Sep 21, 2012 6:56 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)

Enjoy your time in the Adirondacks, DH, sounds superbly relaxing with chess and all, kinda Norman Rockwell like.

Ray, enjoy your hike in Yosemite, and hopefully you won't run into the wild array of beast that Rich encounters. 

Rich, the taper sounds smooth and on track.  You must feel good, though no doubt a little nervous (I would).

I had one of those, hey, I don't want to run days but get your butt out there anyway and you can run short if you have to just do it kinda run.  Of course, as is typical, at around mile two, I decided to keep on going and got my 6 in.  I had an attractive young lady pass me who inspired a mid-run tempo event, till I petered out.  Is there a special name for this type of tempo fartlek type burst??

Hoping to do 10 tomorrow to wrap up 25 for the week.

Mike in Minneapolis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...