Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49627 Views 332 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 8:36 PM by jeb6294 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23 Previous Next
  • greenybeany Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Oct 26, 2012 7:55 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Re: Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Whew... I had a tough day yesterday as well. W6D1. I figured It would be easy because I had run 20min straight the day before, and this was run5-w3-r8-w3-r5. Unfortunately, on the first walk 3I took like an 8 minute walk/stand break, (ran into somebody I knew) which somehow ledto the 8min run feeling horrible. I also think I may have run too fast on that first 5min run. And the whole time my knees felt hot and weird and uncomfortable, but luckily, not painful really. I iced them after so hopefully that helped. Not a fun run! But oh well, I guess we all seem to get those once in a while! Believe it or not, I had a dream/semi-nightmare about it last night! I never thought I would be dreaming about my running workouts! Hahaha.

That’s cool we have the same brand of shoes Maureen! I’m really liking mine. Compared to all of the neon and flashy ones at the Fleet Feet store, they look like old people shoes, but oh well, they were the only ones that make running enjoyable! I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before, but I have a morton’s neuroma in my right foot..anybody else here have one of those? But anyway, it makes it so that I have towear really wide shoes.

Maureen, have you read about the IT band? It goes from your hip to your knee and can cause knee pain...there are stretches and a foam tube that you can roll on that you can do to help it. When I was in my obsessive-I-need-to-find-out-what-is-causing-my-knee-painphase, I tried some of those. The guy at fleet feet told me that you can just fill up a 2 liter bottle with water and roll on that back and forth on the muscley part of the side of your upper leg. There are youtube videos that show you how to do it as well.

Gah… the hurricane! I live in the northeast as well.. so far I have been so lucky to have my run days fall on days that are really nice… I’m not excited for this rainy weather! L

• looney2ns Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    181. Oct 26, 2012 8:57 AM (in response to Laurarunning)
    Anyone starting C25K in late Sept?

Good job, RunBinaRun! Those rough runs aren't so fun, but they do make us stronger (I hope)!

Finished W7D2 this morning.  2.5 miles is 10 laps around the track at our park, and it seems like nothing until I start to run it.  Then each side seems to stretch endlessly and it takes forever until I can tell myself I completed one lap.  But I finished the 10 laps, and although it was tough, I wasn't ready to keel over like I felt when I did my first 2.5 miles a few days ago. 

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    182. Oct 26, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Nicolette-   Wow I wouldn't worry about running that 5k.  My best running pace has been 17 what I wouldn't give to run an 11  :-)   I'm sure there will be lots of runners running the same as you and since you don't know anyone in the race and will never see them again who cares ....right!     The Nike + has a pace setter that will help you keep and even pace. my plan for my dec race is to set it slightly lower than i will be running at that time and enjoy the race..... that way I'll be sure to improve my time on the next one.   :-)  I will just be happy to finish!  

• Nicolette78 Expert 58 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    183. Oct 26, 2012 10:37 AM (in response to maureen0131)

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I will definitely keep that in mind while I am running on Sunday. ;-)

I start my Nike+ running app with no music, then start my C25K app with music. When my C25K program is complete I close it and open my Nike+ app (it has been running in the background) and start the music there. That is how I can track my distance. My C25K app just goes by time. The only thing is, you have to keep the C25K app open so you can hear the prompts. If you have the Nike+ app open and the C25K app in the background you can barely hear them. The Nike+ distance prompts come through loud and clear even with the C25K app open. Hope that helps. It works for me!;-)

Does anyone know about the customized podcasts?

Oct 4, 2012
    184. Oct 26, 2012 10:42 AM (in response to almightyD)

Thanks AlmightyD!

You will do great I am sure... I just keep telling myself that at least we are doing something to improve our health and therefore our lives. Keep up the good work!

• Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    185. Oct 26, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hey all!

So today I ran w4d3....a little behind schedule but I had some soreness in my achilles, and I took an extra day of rest. For the first time, I went with a friend who could keep up, and we ran with her dogs.....what a great run! In fact, I was so caught up in talking with her and enjoying the dog I was running with, I missed one of the cues, and ended up running 8 1/2 minutes!

I too am in the Northeast, and Hurricane Sandy is getting quite scary. Week5D1 is scheduled for Sunday, which I think I will be ok for....after that is Tuesday, I may have to either do it on the treadmill or wait it out for another day. We'll see.

Oct 4, 2012
    186. Oct 26, 2012 8:18 PM (in response to Maripossa24)

Great job! 8.5 minutes is amazing!

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    187. Oct 27, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

I finished w6d3 this morning.  One thing that kept me going is that I kept telling myself that, if I didn't have my 3 minute walk in the middle, I basically already did it on day 2 thanks to Sgt. Snesavage.  I was also able to get over to the prison today and sync my Nik+ to my account today too.  I definitely wasn't breaking any speed records which is disappointing, but one thing I saw that was fairly encouraging is that I seemed to be speeding up slightly rather than getting slower over the length of my run which is what I would expect.  To be honest, at this point, going 30 minutes doesn't seem like that big a deal anymore.  If you can push yourself to 25 minutes, what's another 5 minutes?

w6d3.jpg

Oct 4, 2012
    188. Oct 27, 2012 7:23 AM (in response to jeb6294)

That's a great attitude to have. You are actually running faster than 12'43" because it is taking into account your warm-up and cool down. That is a good pace. If I were you I would worry less about pace and work on completing your 5K. That's what I did and my pace improved over time. I will say that I haven't had to run more than 5 minutes yet so I guess we will see what my pace is then! LOL.

I still can't get my chart to be in the body of my post like you do. Do you think it is because I am on a iPad?

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    189. Oct 27, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to Nicolette78)

12'43" is my average pace over the whole thing including my walking.  Over my run I'm between ~11'20" and ~11'05" per mile.  I feel bad because I was at about 10'30" before but I was only running a few minutes at a time then too.

Are you using "Attach Files" to post your graph?  That will add a link that will bring up your graph.  I hit the little camera icon and upload my picture that way which puts the graph in my post.

Sep 24, 2012
    190. Oct 27, 2012 10:33 AM (in response to Laurarunning)

Hi everybody. I just got back from my W6D2 run. It felt good today... much better than w6d2 for some reason. I think I am starting to prefer the less chopped up runs. I like the 10min intervals. They are not too short, but not too long either.

I decided this time I would cover the exact distance of a 5k, and I found the perfect loop to/from my house, around my neighborhood to do it... it was exactly 3.1 miles! I wish I had one of those neat things to see my pace and all that, but all i have is a stop watch. Well, since today was warm up 5min, run 10, 3walk, run 10, (total of 28min).Then it took me 15 minutes(walking) to get back home. So, total of 43 minutes for the whole entire thing... so thats a pace of 13.8min/mile.. i think... I'm bad at math, haha. But.. wow... it was interesting to cover the distance of a 5k in a loop... runners go on about how its the little short and sweet 5k... but to me it seems like quite a distance!!!

Anybody else tried to cover a 5k distance yet? What did you think?

Sep 24, 2012
    191. Oct 27, 2012 10:37 AM (in response to greenybeany)

oh and i just calculated/google mapped that for the 10-3-10 section, I covered 2 miles! So thats 11.5 min/mile. Man I can see why you guys like those maps and such... this is fun! I bet it is also really helpful to be able to track your pace so you can see your progress... i would have loved to know my pace on those (what seemed like grueling at the time) 60 second runs! hahaha.

• Maripossa24 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 3, 2012
    192. Oct 27, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

Oh, I forgot to mention! I also had my first experience getting chased by a dog while running. As I said before, we were both running with dogs, her a dobie, I a pit. We were doing a walk part, and I noticed a guy just coming home from work was waiting by his fence, with his barking dog on the other side. He was obviously waiting for us to pass by his property before he opened the gate.

I said to my friend, let's start running, just to be polite to get past the guys house faster. About 3 houses later, my "sixth sense" tells me to stop, we are being chased. I stop and as I'm turning around, I see a brown blur in my peripheral vision. It's the dog, off leash and chasing us. We turned all the way around to face him, stayed calm, and stood tall/puffed our chests. The dogs were behind us. The dog froze, paw in midair, head cocked to the side, ears forward. About 15 seconds later, his dad calls him back home. He asked if we were alright, and we said we were fine.

To be fair, we both work with dogs for a living, so I think that helped us know what to do instinctually. That could have been a bad situation!  At least now I know I can handle it.

• almightyD Expert 51 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    193. Oct 27, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to Laurarunning)

I'm so jealous reading all your posts!!!   Woke up this morn with a fever of 102  uuhhhggggg  thanks to my son.   Kept thinking i could go out an do a little run but my joints are so sore from the fever.

GOOD LUCK!   Nicollette on your run tomorrow!!!!!    Have fun !

Oct 4, 2012
    194. Oct 27, 2012 9:53 PM (in response to almightyD)

I am sorry to hear that you are not well. I hope you get better soon. Drink plenty of fluids. I love theraflu when I am sick. I drink the daytime one in the am and the nighttime one before I go to bed. It always makes me feel better.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting very nervous! I don't even know how to act at a race. I don't know if I will be able to run with a ton of peopl, or if it is on a road, or a trail, or if there are a bunch of hills... AHhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...