Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1292 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2012 2:53 PM by Jasko123
kathruns Pro 79 posts since
Oct 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 26, 2012 8:24 AM

Finally signed up for my first 5K!

I finished the C25K last December and kept up with running 3 miles/3x a week and more recently added another day at 4 miles.

My first 5K is this Saturday, 9/29.  It's not a huge run, so I thought it would be less intimidating to me since I haven't wanted to do a run as of yet.

I've read a lot about what to do the week prior to the race, but it is mind boggling and I just want to run and have fun and enjoy my first race!

I ran 4 miles this past Saturday and 3 miles Monday and today.  I shouldn't have done this but I tried to change how I land on my feet on Monday by trying to get a better mid foot strike.  I ended up really having sore calves after that.  It's not so bad today, but today I took my 3 miles at an easy pace. 

I do want my calves and legs to feel fresh on Saturday. Should I even run anymore this week?  Or just rest?  Or maybe do some walking instead?

Do I run the race faster that my normal every day runs?  I'm afraid to get burned out too quickly!  I just don't know what to expect, but my goal is my time to be somewhere around 30 minutes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• Shellyc25k Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    1. Sep 26, 2012 12:00 PM (in response to kathruns)

Running my first 5K on Sunday!! Good luck!!

• utleymom Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    2. Sep 26, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to kathruns)

I hope you get some answers because I'd love to know!  My friend and I did C25K over the summer and are running our first 5K on Sunday 9/30.  I don't know how to run this week....I did 3.2 on Monday and 3 this morning but for some reason I just didn't "have" it today had to stop a couple times and walk for a few seconds....only about a minute or two total.  I know this isn't bad but I really want to run the whole thing on Sunday without stopping to walk (I've been able to do it several times but today the legs just felt like cement).  Should I run anymore this week?  I was thinking maybe 2 miles on Friday and that's it.  Thanks and good luck!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Sep 26, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to kathruns)

Hi Kathy,

Congrats on your first 5k this coming weekend.  I would say do whatever makes you feel the most confident and prepared in these final few days before the race.  It is difficult to try and figure out "race pace" training initially because there are too many variables, but that will come with time and experience with more events. 

Recovery efforts are important, but they also vary greatly depending on individual circumstances, so so a walk/run combination, a mile at full speed, some low-impact cross-training or any/all of the above might present for helpful options before Saturday.  I apologize for the vague suggestions, but everyone is different and it is really a matter of how you arrive at the best fitness level for a particular challenge. 

Honestly, I would not devote a great deal of time to changing foot strike at this point.  That is an area for future focus that you can develop along with other factors as you progress in your training and goals.  (compression socks or calf sleeves with help). 

Just go and have fun and celebrate completing this first journey...wishing you all the best for crossing many finish lines!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    6. Sep 30, 2012 2:53 PM (in response to kathruns)

Congrats on your first 5k finish Kathy!  Now on to more 5k courses and moving along to the 8k and 10k.  The events are so much fun and you should be very proud of yourself! (Hope you get hooked on races...they are usually so rewarding, motivating and just plain fun). 

I did the color run yesterday...did not think I would enjoy it, but it was for a good cause and suprisingly full of positive energy with great connections. 

Glad to hear that you survived the thick, moist air further South and Kudos on a great finishing time! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...