Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1056 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 9:50 PM by jeb6294 RSS
abasket Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2012 8:14 AM

Newbie starting on week 3 - ankle pain

Hi all!

I've always had a nagging desire to be able to run a 5K but have NEVER been a runner/jogger.  Decided to take my best shot at Couch to 5K after turning 53 this year!

I'm noticing some pain in my left ankle - the outside of the ankle, right on/behind the "knobby" bony part of the ankle.  Hurts a little when I walk - hurt a little when I did W2D3 last night but not anymore than when I'm walking.  Iced it last night and for a couple of minutes this morning.  Is that what I should be doing?  Anything else I can do to avoid this again?

I was running on our neighborhoods uneven sidewalks the first two weeks - dodging the sidewalk cracks and fall acorn droppings may have led me to favor the left foot harder - I'm also overall someone who favors "left" everything.  Last night I tried my workout in the street/boulevard - again, TRIED to avoid the slanting side of the road which may contribute to the pain?

Looking for tips on how to avoid this from continuing and how to "nurse" it while it is still annoying me!

Thanks much!

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    1. Oct 22, 2012 11:50 AM (in response to abasket)

If its minor, take a couple days off and continue the icing.  after the soreness is gone, make sure it is good and warm before you run on it. Use a heating pad if needed to warm it up before jogging on it.  In addition, seek out softer surfaces like crushed limestone or wood chips.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Oct 22, 2012 12:46 PM (in response to abasket)

I would try a good ankle support wrap or some variety of a a light compression brace.  If it is a problem area, it is likely to continue, so is is a good idea to address any instability and prevent future strain and/or injury.  Of course, you may also want to look at your running shoes and consider inserts because there are many factors that could be influencing the problem.

Wishing you all the best and just try out some different things to add support. 

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    3. Oct 22, 2012 9:50 PM (in response to abasket)

Does it hurt all the time or just when you're running?  I started getting something that sounds kind of similar yesterday when I was walking and then a little this morning too.  The funny thing was that I would notice it while I was walking but not when I was running.  Since we don't really have a good place to go get something like that checked out here, I usually try and see what I can find on the web.  From some of the stuff I've been able to find, it sounds like it could be tendonitis in the peroneal tendon...in my case at least because it can go away when you're running as it warms up.  Their suggestions are ice, make sure you're running on a flat surface and stretching.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points