Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1049 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2012 6:57 AM by Old Coyote RSS
Doug87 Rookie 5 posts since
Oct 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2012 9:04 AM

Training for an ultra-marathon question about the number of weeks

I was planning on a 50 mile race in the end of May, the 26. Plan was a 37 week training plan. Where it would be broken down into five stages: 10 weeks build up; 11 weeks strength; 11 weeks endurance; 3 weeks taper; 2 weeks recovery. I was considering doing another 50 early on in May instead of the one on the 26. I would be doing 32 weeks of training and plan on doing a 50K 3 weeks prior to the race. It would change the five stages to: 11 weeks build up; 8 weeks strength; 7 weeks endurance; 3 weeks taper; 2 weeks recovery. Where endurance phase start in February 16 with a 5 hour run; two four hour runs the week of March 10th; six hour run the 30th; then just run the 50K the 13th. The race would then be three weeks away. Question is would it be better and hold off for the later race or will loosing those three extra weeks be sufficient? Pros/Cons? Appreciate the feedback.

• pithydoug Rookie 32 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

This is almost impossible to answer without some history. Is this you first ultra?  You have things chopped into segments which seems ok but nothing about the quality and how it maps to your race.  Youv should be looking at the race and then mapping a specific plan for THAT race.  Is the race tough or rugged footing,  how much accunulated elevation and two immediate questions.  One you know what the race will throw at you, then you map a plan.  lets assume the race has lots of elevation and you need to pound some serious hills. In that case you may need to add some serious hills and recover all mapping back to a schedule. To simply say 8 weeks of strength amy be to little.

As fort doing a 50k in general three weeks before a 50 mile can be very risky. It's all about your recovery rate. Know they recovey and that oftren takes years.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011

Can I tag on to this thread?

I'm planning to run a 50K in early May. Right now, I'm recovering from my first marathon 6 days ago, which went very well. I negative split the course, finished strong, very little DOMS.

The 50K I'm looking at is on double track, not too hilly for Colorado, 700 meters elevation gain over 50k. Where can I locate ultra training programs, or should I just up the mileage on a marathon training program, and continue my normal hill work?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...