Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

631 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 8:02 AM by BOSNPM RSS
savvybookgirl Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2012 6:18 PM

Where do I go from here?

Tonight I completed my couch to 5K program on my app.  My best run was 2.7 miles in 30 minutes.  Not quite a full 5K.  So my question is do I now work on increasing my distance or should I try and increase my speed? I have registered for my first 5K for Thanksgiving day with the hubby. I would love some recommendatiosn from others who have BTDT

TIA,

Tracy

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 5, 2012 5:41 AM (in response to savvybookgirl)
    Where do I go from here?

I would suggest working on distance.  As a result, you will also find yourself getting faster.  How far you go depends on your goals as a runner.  If you want to stay fit and run the occasional, recreational 5K or 10K, 15 to 20 miles per week should be enough.  If you want to be competitive or run longer races, you'll probably find 25 or 30 miles per week about the minimum.

One plan is the "One hour runner".  There are several versions but they're all similar.  One is on the 2nd half of this site: http://www.kathrineswitzer.com/fitness_run.html.  You can google "one hour runner" for more.

Another possibility is Bridge to 10K (aka B210K).  You can google this one too.  One source of the plan is here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_individual.asp?gid=46058.  Some dislike that the plan returns to run/walk "intervals", whereas One Hour Runner is steady running.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 5, 2012 8:02 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Where do I go from here?

I agree 100% with Len, if you add distance the speed will come also.  Goal should be running for life not a short goal, so you have plenty of time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points