Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1029 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2012 6:43 PM by Rich in NH
wndctyrnr Rookie 12 posts since
Oct 8, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2012 2:00 AM

Advice for determining marathon pace after training on treadmill?

Hi there -

I am running a marathon in 5 weeks and have been training on a treadmill - even for long runs! This will be 7th marathon however my first in 5 years. I am training on the treadmill because I live in the middle east and it's still far too hot to train out side. For example in the evenings in it's low 90's upper 80's still. I have started to do some evening runs 8 miles and under but the heat is truly brutal.

My question/concern is not accurately picking a pace to run the marathon at. I am currently running 30-45 miles per week at a 8:45-9:10 mile pace with 2 x 20/22 mile long runs. I keep the treadmill at 2% incline as recommended to emulate running outdoors. So far my runs have been fine - nothing too hard or too easy for that matter. My best marathon is 3:38 at Boston and best half marathon time is 1:36. My best times have been with the program I am using now.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a way to figure out my best pace options? I am running the Istanbul marathon which is a relatively flat course until the last 4k which is hilly. The weather will be 50's - 60's.

I'd love to aim for 3:40 - 3:45.....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Debbie

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

I have no experience regarding adjusting training on treadmills.  I would tend to believe that getting outdoors (even for shorter interval routes in the heat) would produce some benefits.  Typically, a good bet would be to focus on tempo runs for 10-12 miles at this point, but it sounds like you have a great base of past experience, so you probably know this.  Again, I would try and tolerate the higher temps, even for speed or hill work, because that might better help identify any gaps with pace combinations. 

Wishing you all the best on the upcoming challenge. 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

I've run 8 marathons, but nothing to write home about.  I think I've come up with every way imagineable to have a bad marathon, so will only point out the obvious in what I see wrong in your post.

You're training at an 8:45 - 9:10 pace, but would love to target a 3:45:00 marathon.  A 3:45:00 works out to an 8:34 pace, quite a lot faster than the pace you're training at and something I wouldn't be able to pull off.

Something for you to think about...

And good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points