Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

547 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 3:02 PM by Jasko123 RSS
kfish1987 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 10, 2012 10:55 AM

Diabetes and Running

I have type 2 Diabetes.  I have started running to lose weight to perhaps not be a type 2 Diabetic anymore.  My question is how do those with Type 2 Diabetes keep sugar constant.  I finished a run last night, it had been a couple hours since I last ate.  By the time I went to bed, I was shaking and found my blood sugar down in the 70's.  I ate something but then my morning blood sugar was in the 110's.  Do you eat before a run?  I am doing the 5K training app and want to go up to a 1/2 marathon but I do not want to risk spikes and lows with my blood sugar.    

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 10, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to kfish1987)
    Diabetes and Running

You probably know this, but the best plan is to eat smaller amounts on a more frequent basis.  I am hypoglycemic, so increasing complex carbs in connection with quality protein and healthy fats (Omega 3 found in fish, for example) should make a difference. 

This part is key:  avoid foods with simple carbs (yes, they are popular and effective for some), but stay away from any refined flour/sugar products and instead choose fresh fruit combined with natural fiber (veggies, grains, beans and so on). 

I do eat before running, but it is limited to 1/2 fruit and 1/2 granola and sometimes 1/2 protein serving of some sort.  Remember to combine/eat complex carbs with protein for better results.  Also, look at some supplements (not the ones with unknown ingredients or the crazy energy drinks with side-effects).  Try going to your local health food store.  They are usually very informed and helpful in recommending certain products.  Natural carrot or cherry juice might be good options to try.  They should help stabilize blood sugar levels with some other added benefits. 

Wishing you all the best.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points