Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8873 Views 54 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 2:01 AM by psammead RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2012 9:22 PM

STARTING C25K on Tuesday, Oct 15th.  Anyone want to join me?

It's fall, the air is crisp and invigorating, the golden sunshine practically begs you to come out and play.  Let's run!!! 

Just a quick intro.  My name is Jenn.  I turned 31 this year (still getting used to that) and REALLY needing to get back into running about a 2 year hiatus.  The first time I did C25k, I was 30 lbs overweight, I'd had 3 babies in 4 years, hadn't exercised in at LEAST 4 years, and hadn't ran in close to 5.  I did the Couch to 5k program, ran a 5k and 10k within 6 months of first starting the program.  I also LOST that 30 lbs, which was nice.   Well, the running, as I said, went on hiatus because God saw fit to bless us with TWO more babies...in two years. Yes, we're a little crazy.  So, now I'm back to square one.  I haven't ran since August of 2010 and I need to lose about 20 lbs of baby weight.  Ahem, I say all that not to brag, but just to say that if I did it, ANYONE can, and that's not an exaggeration!  LOL

I started c25k thanks to Active.com!  A late night of web-browsing led me to this site, and I stumbled on a thread started by a woman who was starting the program and looking for friends to "run" with her.  There were about 10 of us who committed and finished the program, and having that group was SUCH an encouragement, and a very helpful resource.  I really credit my success to those ladies, because there were many times along the way I about threw in the towel.  They kept me going with encouragement and advice, and it was pretty cool.

Would anyone like to commit to starting next week?  We could be long-distance running buddies!  Let me know!  I'm planning on running Tuesday, Thursda and Saturday/Sunday.  Our town has a Thanksgiving Day run, and I'm seriously toying with attempting to run it, but we'll see how this month goes. With five kids in the house, including a 3 month old, I am telling myself NOW that the potentially for derailment is huge, and that I need to just roll with it.  My season in life is being mommy to five young, incredibly amazing kids and it's very unpredictabl

I hope to hear from you! 

Jenn

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• eemcee Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2012

hi my plan is to start on the 15th also. have had 1 year off running with achillies tendonopathy after good results with c25k. i have 2 children who may derail my plans as well as not sure about how the achillies will stand up. will be good to have some support.  we are heading into summer so may be easier weather wise for me. oh and i need to loose about 10kg (22pounds)!

• MStaackmann Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012

I would love to start with you.  My name is Mary and I'm 46 years old.  I heard about this site from a friend who started this last fall, and loved it. I checked it out Sunday because I wanted to get started, and a "running partner" would be very helpful in keeping me on on track. I am basically new to running, at least regularly. I haven't regularly exercised in a couples years. (I used to be pretty good about regularly exercising for about 10+ years prior to that, but, life happens). And this last year was very stressful with some major life changes, both wonderful (getting married, moving) and some not so great. After some fits and starts at getting into my regular exercise mode over the summer, I want to follow a plan to help me get going. I could stand to lose about 10 pounds, but more than that I really want to get fit and healthy again. I look forward to running with you!

• SBShelly Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 14, 2012

I am 56 and completely out of shape, heavier than I have ever been.  I tried this once and didn't get past day 1!

However, I have heard of so many who have been successful, including my daughter.  She has been

encouraging me to start.  So, why not now?  I just returned from a vacation in New Hampshire and Maine

and start back to work tomorrow.  Tues/Thurs sound doable.  Do we do both Sat and Sun?  If you two

moms can do it - this Grandma can as well!  I have two daughters, 24 and 27, two stepsons, 36 & 39

and 4 grandchildren from my stepsons.  I live in Santa Barbara.  I'll be running on the treadmill to

start because I am so clutsy I am really worried about falling.  Until I feel comfortable that is what

I will be doing.  My husband keeps saying it will kill your knees.  That has stopped me in my

tracks before but now I see people much heavier than myself and not hurting there knees so

I'm ready to roll.  I have had plantar facitis in the past but that too am ready to move past.

I have good shoes with inserts...in fact think I will by new ones today.

My name is Shelly and I am on board.

• Abbiejo107 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012

I'm starting C25K today for my first tim!

I'm 17 years old, and I have never ever ever liked to run. But, I really want to complete a 5K, and to say that I did it!

I know it will be challenging, even more so 'cause I'm overweight, but I feel like I can do it.

So, I'm with you all!

Yes WE can!

• CathyLange Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012

I just started today as well!  I need to lose some weight and get back into a regular habit of exercising.  I haven't run for about four years and am trying to get back into it.  I signed up for a 5k in November and am using this as motivation.

So excited to have running partners!  Woo-hoo!

• Irish Mustang Expert 47 posts since
    May 24, 2011

I would like to join your group. I started about 2 years ago and was progressing nicely. I ran in a couple of 5k races and finished between 25 and 30 minutes on average. This couch to 5k system really works. I was training for a 10k race when i injured my achillies tendon where it attaches to the calf muscle so under medical advice i had to stop running and strech and heal. I want to start again and be ready for the spring 5k season. there are lots of couch to 5 k podcasts to listen to as you train i like the NHS choices laura podcast(it's free). but look around and find whatever music you like to run to bob ellery has a good program also.

I look forward to hearing about everones progress. I live in New Jersey. if you like please tell me what state you live in.

• meganfl Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012

Hi!  My name is Megan and I am 37 with 3 year old twins.  I have never been a runner but feel like it's something I would like to try.  I haven't worked out, really, since 2008 and could stand shed some wieght but really want to be healthier for my kids (and me).  I think running will be good as it will give me a mommy/mental break that won't take too long or cost too much.  I am going to start today after work. I am a little intimidated but excited and glad I saw your post.  I think by writing "out loud" to a community of stragners I've now made a commitment I can't back down from.  Thank you for suggesting looking up proper form, never would have thought of that.  Good luck to all.  and I look forward to staying in touch.

Thanks!!

Megan

• psammead Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011

Can I join you? I started last week but I'm a bit rubbish (overweight sport-allergic 47 year old woman in London) so I'll probably  end up repeating weeks. When I did W1D1 last Monday I did complete it though I was pretty tired at the end and thought I was OK to do W1D2 the next day. No. Definitely not - I was so sore next morning. But I've managed four sessions so far and have also managed running after work and in the dark (two things that have put me off on previous attempts). And today I got a pair of proper running shoes rather than using heavy trainers as I have been and I'm determined not to let the money be wasted (they're too ugly to wear as normal shoes ). Anyway I managed W2D1 yesterday and I'm almost looking forward to doing W2D2 tomorrow

May 24, 2011

Week one day one in the books. it felt good to get out and run again.

Please post all updates good and bad.

I know that if you post to this blog you will be more inclined to stay with the program.

Remember slow and steady wins the race.

have fun and run safe !

May 24, 2011

Congratulations ! you are doing the right thing. Please feel free to ask any running questions. the last thing we want to happen is for you to get injured. As you progress in the weeks of couch to 5 k things will happen. Please keep us posted.

• ncfetcho Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012

Hi! I am not a runner, at all. I describe myself as a fat asthmatic, and I don't run. Well, I think I want to change all that. I have been doing some reading and research. My daughter learned to run with the C25K program a year ago, and she loved it. She had her dad to run with, but I don't have anyone to do it with. She is REALLY pregnant, so no running.  I want to learn how to run. I read a post on another site from a woman who did it, and if she can, I can. I am starting today. Can you tell me some stretches I can do? Thanks!

N.

Edit to add: I am 42 and want to lose over 50 lbs.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...