Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

683 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 8:03 PM by jeb6294 RSS
s1rGr1nG0 Rookie 4 posts since
Oct 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 19, 2012 9:32 AM

Oh Em G!

PR pace and distance tonight. 3.9 miles with avg pace of 12:37.

First 1.05 miles was non-stop. After reading on this board about starting off at a slower pace I found my distance went WAAAY up! So much in fact that I thought "This can't be.." and I stopped to walk. I checked my distance on my iPod, (Nike+) and I was just over a mile 

I could have kept going a little further but I was so surprised by the improvement that something so trivial as SLOWING down, I was in disbelief, (in a good way of course). I celebrated right there in the middle of the road, in the dark, by myself! LOL

Also, on a side note, I ordered some new shoes today. I had been using Nike Moto+ for over a year but they have no arch support on the inside. I noticed tonight that as long as I was running I was good but when I started walking my right food would get numb for a little while. My pace would have been even better except I walked for an extended period at one point because I was waiting to see if the numbness would go away, and it did. After that I was ok until the finish. The new shoes are Nike Shox + Turbo, (think that's the name).

Anyone use these? I got them from Zappos. The reviews seem pretty good so I picked them up.

Being in Afghanistan I am unable to visit a running shop to get my gait analyzed so I just went with what looked like it would do the job for me for the time being. I go home at Christmas time and I may look into getting fitted for some better shoes then. We'll see!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Oct 19, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to s1rGr1nG0)
    Oh Em G!

Nike Shox are great shoes...very durable with good control, so I always keep at least one pair.  I also have Nike Air Max Zoom and several models of Lunarglide and they have all performed well.  Nike makes great products and it is important to find the right combination for your personal needs.  Nike Shox are a bit on the heavy side, but they are still wonderful for training and stability.  If you need extra support, check into Nike Vomero 6 or 7 or Lunarglide dynamic support.  Both are great options for extra arch and heel cushion. 

It is a good idea to get a professional evaluation.  Usually, you receive some good advice and several suggestions, but just be cautious also because more expensive does not always equate to better performance or the best selection for you personally. 

Congrats on your progress and check out Ebay in the future also..great bargains once you know exactly what you are looking for. 

Wishing you all the best.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    2. Oct 19, 2012 8:03 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Oh Em G!

Are you using the Nike's because they have the slot for the Nike+ sensor or because you like them?  I am using a pair of Nike Air Max but only because I picked them up at the Nike outlet store before I came over.  I didn't really have a plan to do c25k before I left so I never thought to go to the running store.  The Nike's are working okay but I'll be going home for R&R in Dec. and will go get checked out to see if I would be better off with something different.  Not sure how accurate it is but if you're not going to be home for a while runnersworld.com has a shoe finder on it and if you end up with something besides Nike you can get the little sensor holder for a couple bucks.  I'm using Nike+ too but the GPS on my phone still works here so I'm using that one instead of the one with my Nano since my sensor died.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...