Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3676 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 8:16 PM by Yogini910 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • MeredithWelch-Devine Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 22, 2012 5:36 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Running Event - AthHalf Reviews

Had a great time!  Loved the energy of the spectators.  Was expecting more music, and the end refuel area was chaos, as many have noted, but the most frustrating thing for me was how small the running lane was coming toward the end, particularly coming down Lumpkin before turning into the Tate Center parking lot.  It was impossible to pass anyone there, and this really needs to be fixed.

• kshaw16 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 9, 2012
    16. Oct 22, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to Guest )

My first half - and it was a great one! Beautiful course! Will be back next year!

• VictoriaHulett Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 22, 2012
    17. Oct 22, 2012 5:56 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon, and I loved it! The course was challenging at times, but it made the finish that much better. The support along the way was fantastic. It really helped me stay pumped up. The finish was...interesting. Felt weird that the stadium was empty, but there were lots of people cheering at the finish. Loved that they called my name out! Overall, great experience and will do it next year!

• tempunaut Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 3, 2012
    18. Oct 22, 2012 6:03 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first AthHalf and my first half marathon to boot.  I had heard rumors of the toughness of the course in years past, but whatever changes they made for this year made the course pleasant enough to enjoy, but strenuous enough to be worthwhile.  Hydration stations every two miles were appreciated, and the fan support was great.

• suzannemorris Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 6, 2008
    19. Oct 22, 2012 6:05 AM (in response to Guest )

The most enjoyable half-marathon I've ever run.  The new route is a big improvement over previous years. No more soul-crushing hill at the end.  Instead the hills are few and gentle, the scenery lovely - mostly residential and woodsy parks.  The flat finish in Sanford Stadium was great fun. 

• angela1996 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 22, 2012
    20. Oct 22, 2012 6:13 AM (in response to Guest )

First 1/2 marathon for me, yet an avid Peachtree Road Race Runner, so I'm a bit biased......I signed up to support the cause. I thought the watering stations were too scare, especially towards the end of the race (every mile at the Peachtree), I didn't like the last lapse in an empty (?) stadium and the food choices at the end were insufficient (bananas?). I like a "party" atmosphere and thought it would be that way considering the price and adverstisement of music etc. I won't run this one again, but then again, I'm not a serious runner.

• abmnursery Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 5, 2012
    21. Oct 22, 2012 6:20 AM (in response to Guest )

Great course, great sideline cheering!  Great pace group 2.00 leader Dan!

Volunteers tried to keep finish organized but couldn't overcome sheer volume of people.  Maybe use the lower level of the parking deck as part of runner exit strategy?

• mhubbar0 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    22. Oct 22, 2012 6:36 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first actual running race ever let alone first 1/2 marathon. I was a little intimidated that I would be racing with 3000 other people but the training I had done and the beauty of the course made it a lot easier. The people standing on the sidelines were also great holding up signs and cheering along the way. The only thing I was disappointed in was all the racers got a grey race shirt that was really short in length while the volunteers got a really nice dry fit blue shirt. Hopefully AthHalf staff will try to fix the issue. 

• aleyton11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    23. Oct 22, 2012 6:48 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall it was a really enjoyable experience for my second half marathon. The course was absolutely gorgeous. I went to UGA and lived in Athens for a little over 5 years and I saw parts of the town that I've never seen before. Also, it was a trip down memory lane being on campus, so that was really nice. Running through the stadium was super awesome also! The spectators were extremely nice, even the police helping out were cheering us on. The signs that people created were really clever and funny too.

I was expecting more music because of the advertisements and partnership with AthFest, so that was disappointing. Also, the end was a little anti-climatic because people were milling around and were partially on the course when we were trying to go into the stadium. Not a lot of people were cheering toward the end, I think because the finish area was crowded and somewhat of a mess. I think if there were barricades set up throughout the course instead of the cones, it would have been better because that would have created less disturbance with the cars passing by and the spectators would have been confined at the end. Also, wider lanes would have been nice. The only other downfall was that the start line was disorganized. It wasn't clear which side we were supposed to be on, and the corrals weren't easy to spot - it looked like there were no pace markers for after 2 hours.

In the end, it was a lot of fun and a beautiful course, and it was a joy to do this with a bunch of friends that I had been training with over the past few months.

• CarloTam79 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 17, 2012
    24. Oct 22, 2012 7:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Awesome course. The hills were not too extreme and there were a lot of downhills in the beginning which is really encouraging.

• jcloo Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 21, 2010
    25. Oct 22, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to Guest )

Great course! Running the Ath always has great supporters as well! I lost 10 minutes waiting on a Port-o-Pot but everything else was great.

• ErinRay2010 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    26. Oct 22, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to Guest )

I loved the course! Much better than last year... I personally didn't care about "running through the hedges" and actually would have prefered to not have the extra .3 miles. I felt the finish/runners area was extremely to crowded and I heard several people say the same thing.  After the race I wanted to be able to get my food and chill, but there were too many people to do that.  I was also disappointed in the fact there was no beer. I look forward to the free beer after a race. Overall, it was wonderful... just needs to be a bigger finish area.

• timberdawg Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 6, 2008
    27. Oct 22, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to Guest )

Great Course. Enjoyed the event. Hope to run it again. Only suggested improvement would be the finish  and food areas were a little cramped.

• MichaelsPizza Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 22, 2012
    28. Oct 22, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first race so I can't compare it to any other but overall it was a great experience. The course was challenging but the hills were spaced well. When you run in Athens you're going to get hills... unless next years course decides to go back and forth over-and-over again on Prince. I agree with the other posters that that running lanes were a bit narrow at times but the Athens-Clarke Police Dept. deserves a big "thumbs-up" for doing a great job keeping traffic away from the runners. * I'm not sure what happened to the advertised music throughout the race but it wasn't there... except for a family in front of their house with the dad and his son playing drums (plastic containers) which was great!! * My biggest complaint was that Energy Gels were advertised, so I left mine at home, but never saw them at any water station or had them offered by any of the volunteers. I later learned that they were in boxes underneath the water tables. I can only guess that the volunteers weren't told to offer them or pass them out which if the did I'm sure I could have won the race :). * The end wasn't too crowded when I crossed the finish but quickly filled up with racers and spectators. The food area was too small and bottle necked as the crowd got larger. More crowd control is needed at the end. Overall I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the course.

• Tyler Lindsey Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2012
    29. Oct 22, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to Guest )

Fun event, perfect weather.  Good start, fun course, plenty of water stations.  Good mix of hills (down and up).  On the improvements list, bands were a disappointment and the finish area was too compact.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...