Skip navigation

3517 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 8:16 PM by Yogini910 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Stebbers Rookie 1 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 22, 2012 7:47 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Running Event - AthHalf Reviews

Course- new course was awesome.

Start- too crowded, need to put the wave start back in.

Aid stations- not consistent. Some were adequately staffed, others overwhelmed.

Finish- a cluster, too may people in a limited space. Very disappointing, could not get to the food. With all the space available, planning was poor.

• Chanda M. DeFoor Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010
    31. Oct 22, 2012 7:49 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall, I thought it was a good race, and I would do it again. Having said that, I think a little constructive critiscm may be helpful to the organizers. Some of the complaints I have may be moot - I know there are certain restrictions that may not be able to change.

1. The lanes were on the sloping section of the street. I understand the reasoning, but it is very hard on the body for miles on end.

2. The outter sections of the course weren't marked well. The cones disappeared, and I was left to assume that we were to run on the shoulder.

3. The chute area should have been a little more spread out. Even though I finished near the end of the race, there was still quite a crowd. I can't imagine how packed it must have been earlier on. I couldn't access the pizza, etc.

4. The medals were unimpressive.

Now, for the positive comments:

1. The course was great! I loved the residential areas and the fact that they somehow avoided hills in Athens!

2. The weather was awesome.

3. I liked that there were bathrooms at all the water stations. That's important.

4. The volunteers were fantastic and very encouraging.

5. Handing out gel was very nice -especially Stingers' brand.

6. It seems there was some good food at the end (if I could have gotten to it).

7. I love the tee shirt.

• Brice42 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    32. Oct 22, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first attempt at a half-marathon.  This was a great course that kept my mind occupied on the different scenery throughout the beautiful city of Athens. 

My only complaint (and it's a fairly large one) is that AthHalf requires you to pickup your number at the Expo on Saturday.  I live about an hour away and I had to drive to Athens twice for this race.  Please give runners an option to have their number mailed or race day packet pickup.

Despite the extra travel time, I look forward to running again next year!

• nichanson Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 2, 2009
    33. Oct 22, 2012 9:04 AM (in response to Guest )

Great course!! The only con was the finish area being too congested.

• mlcummings1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 15, 2012
    34. Oct 22, 2012 9:18 AM (in response to Guest )

Loved the experience. Well organized, great volunteers and neighborhood support. Already planning on doing it again next year!

• nelsonandamy Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. Oct 22, 2012 9:18 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 6th half. Although the course was very hilly, I thought it was pretty and I loved running through the neighborhoods and past the Greeks.

Ending by running through the hedges was very cool but rather anticlimactic. The end of the race is when you need the most encouragement and running through the empty stadium was kind of a let down. Being on the jumbotron was also kind of silly because the only ones to see you were the other runners struggling to finish.

I agree that the finish was too conjested and that the bands were definitely over emphasized.  I loved the high school band though. They were great!

I was most disappointed in the medal.  It's way too small. The design is nice but it's so small no one can read it. Also I've never gotten a race bag with nothing but a shirt in it. With all your sponsors, you should be able to stick some more fun stuff in there.

The weather was perfect and the volunteers were very encouraging and nice.

• kkraynick Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 9, 2009
    36. Oct 22, 2012 9:23 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall this was a great race! I would absolutely do it again. Kudos to organizers for hosting a fun event in a beautiful city on a picture-perfect weekend.

The Good:

Packet pick-up was super easy and expo, while small, was not crowded and easily navigated.

The course was beautiful and volunteers were cheerful and helpful. Yes, there were hills (though apparently fewer than in years past) but the course was "rolling" and there were flat stretches/downhills as well.

The pre-race service at First Presbyterian Church was a perfect start to the day. Not only was the service inspirational, but it was a welcoming spot to warm up, stretch and hydrate.

This race was very affordable, especially if you signed up early.

The Not-So-Good:

Porta-pottys at start seemed very disorganized and in much too small a space. Thankful for restrooms at First Presbyterian!

The lane marked for runners was too narrow in downtown/residential areas (before runners spread out). I felt like I was dodging cones the entire time.

Having to stop for traffic was kind of a bummer; wish the course had been laid out so that this wasn't necessary.

Finish area was too congested and getting to post-race refreshments was difficult.

T-shirt and medal both a little disappointing.

• Kalen Lee Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009
    37. Oct 22, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to Guest )

Another great AthHalf! This is my third year doing this event and it's been great every time. Whoever planned the course was like a wizard avoiding a lot of big uphills and finding all the great downhills (an impressive feat for such a hilly town!). I did miss the beer at this finish line this year, though. Also, I've had a hard time finding the gear check area at the finish line every year. I think a big, overhead sign would help a lot in such a congested area. But the volunteer staff was great and it was fun to run through the stadium! I'll definitely do this race again next year.

• Cindy Burkes Grier Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 3, 2008
    38. Oct 22, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to Guest )

This was one of my favorite half marathons.  The course was wonderful.  Great setup with the water staions and bathrooms. Perfect weather. The fans and volunteers were great. Loved running in Athens.  Areas for improvement:the medal was very small compared to the picture on the website.  The shirt was disappointing - too short and ran big even though registration indicated they ran small. I could not get to any of the food. I do not even know what food was provided. I really needed something after completing the race. Definately planning on doing this next year so I can run through the stadium again Overall, one of my favorite races, Athens is the coolest city.

• ETownRunner Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 21, 2010
    39. Oct 22, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to Guest )

Great race.  Course was better than last year.  Organizers and volunteers did a great job.  Course was clearly marked and well protected from traffic.  I would highly recommend this race.

• ugaerikamcd Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 27, 2011
    40. Oct 22, 2012 6:03 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second time running the Athens half.  I liked this course much better than last year.  I do agree with the person who said the lanes were a little bit narrow- I too was avoiding road cones.  Did NOT like that there was only one port a potty at each water station and that was only every other mile.  Lost 10 minutes on time stopping at mile 5 to use the bathroom.  Finish area a bit hectic but loved running through the stadium.  Really missed the beer at the finish!!  Even with the negative I will run this again next year.  Great town to run in!!

• KimNaples Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    41. Oct 23, 2012 5:32 AM (in response to Guest )

course was very pretty and running around the field between the hedges was a great addition. However, next year they do not need to advertise this as a faster PR course as there were plenty of hills, esp on the back of the course. Most important, there was only one porto potty here and there. If you are going to advertise porto potty areas around the course, then please put about 10 per station. I heard a lot of people complaining about that the most. Additionally, the medals were not impressive at all.

• Philip Prichard Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 19, 2012
    42. Oct 23, 2012 1:58 PM (in response to Guest )

Wonderful event with wonderful support!  Thanks!

• Diatom67 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2010
    43. Oct 24, 2012 1:47 PM (in response to Guest )

Great course and a fun run, however the virtual race bag with nothing but online advertising, and a few coupons for fast food and pizza was a total joke. At least I didn't have to throw any of it away.

• lindsblair Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 28, 2012
    44. Oct 28, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half and I loved it. The city of Athens is the neatest and prettiest city, and I think the course showcased a lot of what Athens is all about. It was a hilly course, but was great considering how much more hilly Athens really is. Loved running through the stadium and the jumbo tron. Will definitely be running it again next year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...