Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2329 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 1:36 PM by Stammair RSS
n00b Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2012 8:24 PM

I can't stand the pain

Hi,

To start off, I'm a 17 year-old male and I have a few questions..But before I get into the questions, let me explain my situation.

I started running about two weeks ago and I've been running almosteveryday since then, but now the pain started to kick in sometimelast week, I was able to suck it up and keep running though, butliterally 20 minutes ago I tried to go for a run, but the pain in myknees kept me from moving at my normal pace.. It looked quitepathetic actually, I looked like I limping.

Now for my questions.

1. Does the shoe I'm wearing matter? Because I don't think theseshoes are working out. (Can you recommend a pair?)

2. Is there anyway to avoid getting pain in my knees/ankles?

3. I'm running 2.5 miles everyday. Is that too much, or notenough?

4. Can anyone give me some tips? Like I said before, I'm new tothis.

Thanks.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    1. Oct 26, 2012 1:14 AM (in response to n00b)
    Re: I can't stand the pain

Whoa, slow down.  If you are just starting to run you need to start out a little easier than that.  Couch-2-5k is every other day so you can recover and work up to running gradually.

At the very least you also need decent running shoes and they can't be your old worn out gym shoes that were laying in the corner of the closet.  If you've got a running store nearby, I'd recommend going there because they will most likely analyze your gait and the best shoes for how you run.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Oct 26, 2012 4:51 AM (in response to n00b)
    Re: I can't stand the pain

One of the things you have to do as a runner is listen to your body and yours is screaming at you...lol Jeb is right, slow down!

If you're familiar with weight lifters, you know they don't work the same muscles every day.  They may lift on consecutive days, but they work different muscles.  The reason they do this is to give each muscle group a chance to strengthen and adapt and that means a day off.

Same thing holds true for runners, especially people just starting out.  You have to give your body time to adapt to the stresses you're throwing at it.

If it were me, I'd stop running 'til the pain in your knees goes away.  You can Google "how to become a runner" or something similar to get started, but the main theme in these programs is to start you out slow, with quite a lot of walking at first.

As far as running shoes, your arch type (high, flat, etc.) dictates the shoe style you should wear.  Again, Google "how to choose the right running shoe" and educate yourself.  If you don't have a quality running store in your area, that info will be vital in helping you get in the right shoe.

Good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    3. Oct 26, 2012 2:14 PM (in response to n00b)
    I can't stand the pain

I totally agree with everything above, take break and let your body heal.  Start by tracking down a reputable running store.  They will evaluate your running form and recommend a shoe for you.  Expect to pay around $100.  They can also answer alot of your questions and share additional information with you based on the area you live in.  When you start back up, start slowly and try to stay on soft surfaces like grass, crushed limestone or wood chips.  Most of all, be patient and build your mileage slowly.  Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

HAPPY RUNNING!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. Oct 26, 2012 8:21 PM (in response to n00b)
    I can't stand the pain

The body does not want to exercise -- so you are working against human nature.

It is good that your "mind" is into this but your body needs to catch up with your enthusiasm.

To quote Top Gun -- Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash

If you continue running there is a time when you will be able to run 5 or 6 days a week and it should not be a problem.

But right now your bones, muscles, tendons, ligiments, etc are all under a stress they have not known and they are rebelling.

All those things will get better and stronger with time running and time resting. Both are needed.

You have to build a bank account of workouts over time in order to get to that point.

Be patient, slow down; every run is not an olympic time trial.

Read this board, especially the C25K threads. There are lots of people here learning as you are. The discussion is good, and you will pick up lots of tips, and ways to think about this whole runnin' thing

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    6. Oct 27, 2012 1:01 AM (in response to n00b)
    I can't stand the pain

I sure hope it's okay to walk on off days because I have been doing it since I started c25k.  I usually end up walking about 2.25 miles at a pretty decent pace on my off days and I haven't felt any ill effects.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    7. Oct 27, 2012 4:42 AM (in response to jeb6294)
    I can't stand the pain

jeb and n00b, the key is listening to your body, if you feel ok, then by all means, walk.  If you feel any pain, then back off for a bit until your body catches up to the stresses you're throwing at it.

I'm an experienced runner who's great at not taking my own advice.  I'm fighting an injury right now because I love to run and get carried away sometimes.  I think we all can relate to your enthusiasm, just temper it with a little common sense and you'll be fine.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• SlowestTurtle Amateur 14 posts since
    May 14, 2012
    8. Oct 29, 2012 7:28 AM (in response to n00b)
    I can't stand the pain

I would also like to add that working on your running form should be a priority from the very beginning. For example, If you are heel striking when you run, you are killing your joints, not to mention slowing yourself down. There are many sites, articles and books on running form. Just google for good running form. Here is one that gives you basics ideas to start with:

http://www.goodformrunning.com/

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    9. Nov 1, 2012 2:26 PM (in response to n00b)
    I can't stand the pain

Theres nothing wrong with cross training as long as your body tolerates it.  As Ive gotten older, I need more days off but would also feel like a slug if I didnt work out.  Mountain biking has been a really valuable cross train for me.  Its a great full body workout but easy on the joints.  An eliptical machine may also work for you on off days.  In addition, pushups, sit ups and resistance training will all be helpful.  Good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• Stammair Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 25, 2012
    10. Nov 2, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to n00b)
    I can't stand the pain

Being fairly new to running myself... I can totally relate to what you are dealing with. All the above advice is spot on... You need to listen to your body.. Granted I'm lots older almost 45 but things that helped me when I started running 2 years ago:  dont run every day... To much. Find a good cross training activity.. I did a lot of core excersise weight lifting squats, dead lifts, upper body, abs, done in circuits... 2 to 3 days per week.  A strong core and legs will limit injuries down the road. I did the same thing when I first started running two years ago.. I was used to running 2 to 3 miles 3 x per week as my routine... When I got into training for my first half I went straight to a 10 mile run in the first week... Bad mistake... Hurt my IT bands in both legs, could hardly walk for two days, my feet hurt.  Follow the no more than 10 percent increase in miles every  2 weeks. Listen to your body, slow down, cross train, stretch daily, follow a training schedule .  Goo luck. Rob

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...