Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13428 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 11:13 AM by Julie Ann Hackett 1 2 3 Previous Next
jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
May 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 6, 2006 10:22 PM

Running Barefoot

What are the benefits/bad side effects?
Who likes it?

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 6, 2006 11:58 PM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: Running Barefoot

I run barefoot only for hills workouts when we run them at this grass park.  It's nice then because it feels nice on the legs especially for early season.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 7, 2006 9:11 AM (in response to jeff19)

When you do barefoot striders, you get more hip flexor extension.  That helps with your ability to sprint, or if you are a distance runner, your ability to "kick".

• newenglandfan08 Legend 462 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    3. Nov 7, 2006 2:49 PM (in response to jeff19)

we have a local runner who does it for every race no matter what the conditions are

• sam1500 Amateur 57 posts since
    Jul 19, 2006
    4. Nov 7, 2006 3:22 PM (in response to jeff19)

Some people like to run barefoot because it 'strengthens the feet and promotes a more natural running style, reducing injury'.  However, with many it actually causes injury such as plantar fascitis.

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 7, 2006 6:36 PM (in response to jeff19)

Barefoot running improves lower leg strength but what I think is most important is that it promotes proper running form. It seemed to work for Art Lydiard's athletes and more recently for Vin Lanana's athletes at Stanford. Personally I love running barefoot which is why I hate the winter. Now I have to cut back on the barefoot stuff but I'll still do things like cooldowns barefoot on the track through the winter.
    The best thing is to try it out.

----

• newatcrosscountry Pro 136 posts since
    Sep 18, 2006
    6. Nov 7, 2006 6:39 PM (in response to jeff19)

thats sounds like ALOT of fun

• Runner for Jesus Pro 119 posts since
    Aug 11, 2006
    7. Nov 7, 2006 8:43 PM (in response to jeff19)

I'd like to try that, but I'm too chicken. I'd feel like a loser running with no shoes. Eh, whatever.

• Threeme2189 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 11, 2006
    8. Nov 8, 2006 10:14 AM (in response to jeff19)

if you want to know more about barefoot running you should check out http://www.runningbarefoot.org.[/URL" target="_blank">
    its a great site that has alot of informative articles about the subject.

• Digler Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    9. Jul 28, 2009 7:09 PM (in response to Threeme2189)

I'm bumping this ancient thread because there aren't too many barefoot threads around.

I recently started reading some of this barefoot running stuff, and the book "Born to Run" by Chris McDougall, and I have owned a pair of  vibram fivefingers for a few years. So, I gave it a try...

Running barefoot (or with minimal footwear) is GREAT! I'm a slowpoke normally, (10:00 to 10:20 or so per mile), but my first run with the VFFs was 9:30 per mile! It is really noticeable how little mass is on your feet with VFFs. I stupidly did 3.1 miles on my first run with them... and blistered my feet in a few places, and I'm still fighting that issue, but the callouses are coming in nicely. I've done six runs so far in them, and really like it. I have always had crazy strong calves (like an upside down Popeye), so I may have an advantage, but I'd like to encourage folks to read more about it, and maybe give it a try. I expected it to be hellish, but it is really fun... just go short on the first few!

• nreforma Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    10. Aug 19, 2009 1:03 PM (in response to Digler)

Thanks for bumping this post Digler.

I ditched my old Puma Concinnity recently after reading articles about barefoot running. (Here's a good article) .  I didn't actually go barefoot. I'm still scared specially of broken glass lying around. I instead got some shoes with thin soles. I looked at the VIbram 5 fingers too but I don't think I'm ready for them yet. They look funny. Right now I'm trying out the Puma Alsten III L. They look like sprint shoes and I can easily wear them with my jeans too. I also saw it as one of the recommended shoes in the POSE method website. Been running with them for 3 weeks now and so far I'm not getting knee or calf issues. Also, one thing I noticed is that with these shoes, I naturally land on the balls of my feet and I get more bounce on it. With my old shoes, I have to force myself to land on balls of my feet and sometimes when I wasn't paying attention I'd land heels first and that gave me knee problems after I run. Anyone here running with similar shoes? Also whatever happened to Puma H-Street?

---------------------------------------------------

www.runamarathonbeforeyoudie.com

• mollysummer Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    11. Sep 9, 2009 7:30 PM (in response to nreforma)

I'm a recent convert. I'm up to about 3 miles barefoot now. I haven't ever been a runner, I'm on week 6 of couch to 5K. Never ran because my knees "couldn't take it"

I had to take a few weeks off from couch to 5K after injuring my knee while wearing running shoes-transitioned to Vibram FF's and then was advised to go cold turkey in order to refine my form, and I have to say it's great. Friday's run will be the test- previously, I've done great until run 3 of the week and then started limping in pain mid-run. Hopefully my gloating about running barefoot won't bite me on Friday.

• CoRunner09 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    12. Sep 27, 2009 11:37 AM (in response to jeff19)

Barefoot running is getting a lot of press lately. I am looking into getting the vibram fivefingers so I can still run on trails without issue.

Follow Me on Twitter http://bit.ly/HVBk | I use mp3 training to stay fit http://bit.ly/iTrain and Mapmyruns.com http://bit.ly/La8EJ to find a place to run!
  • mollysummer Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    13. Sep 27, 2009 11:59 AM (in response to jeff19)

I'm still going. 3.2 miles last night barefoot and no twinges until the very end when I was getting tired. (I'm a novice runner)

the big tell is that there is no, literally NO pain today - not mucles, not joints.

I could have gone longer last night, but my form is funny so I get a blister on one toe- that's the only thing holding my distance back.

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    14. Dec 15, 2009 5:57 PM (in response to mollysummer)

I am a still a new runner, having started in June. I was starting to add some good mileage but noticed

I was not getting faster. Also my calves really hurt.

So I have been transitioning from the heel strike to a pose style of running. In the process, I started to develop

pain in my left hip. I have been rolling on a tennis ball and massaging, but stiill had pain.

Then I started running barefoot on my warm-up. I walk slowly for about 6 minutes and then finish running the rest of a mile at a warm-up pace.

When I run barefoot, I don't get the pain in my hip. When I put my shoes back on, I imitate the foot strike and am able to run faster

without the hip pain.

It takes a while to build up callouses but running barefoot really works for me. I doubt I will ever run more than a couple of miles. But I can tell it really

is a more natural way of running.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...