Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

576 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2007 5:29 PM by Crazy1004 RSS
xcrunner97 Pro 110 posts since
Mar 18, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2007 2:21 PM

Does running with a...

heart rate monitor really help at all? i got one for christmas and i am a little skeptical about it.

if its a dumb question don't get mad im just wondering. i know some of you are pretty egotistical and cranky all the time coughCrazycough

----

These streets Turn me inside out
Everything shines But leaves me empty still
And I'll burn this lonely house down
If you run with me, you run with me

• Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 8, 2007 4:35 PM (in response to xcrunner97)
    Re: Does running with a...

Well... Do you care what your heart rate is while running?

If the answer is yes, than a HRM would help, if the answer is no, than a HRM would not help.  Just knowing your heart rate is pointless if you don't know what to do with the information.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    2. Jan 8, 2007 6:28 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

Exactly, unless you know what to do with it, then it's not going to help you at all. If you want to use it as a training tool, then you need to find your MHR (Maximum Heart Rate). To do this, go and run a really intense workout (hill reps, intervals, whatever strikes your fancy) and see what the highest number that comes up is. That number is your MHR and you can use it to base your training on. I don't know the exact figures, but I think it's something like: easy runs should be 65-75% of your MHR; long runs about the same; recovery runs slightly less; tempo runs 85-95% of MHR. Personally I prefer running by feel, but that's mainly because the HRM (heart rate monitor) that comes with my Garmin FR 301 isn't very good and always slips off.

If you want to improve your training, then running with a HRM can be a good thing, but you have to learn how to use it. Read up on it on the internet, I'm sure there are heaps of resources around.

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 8, 2007 10:15 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

quote:

Originally posted by bruncle:

you need to find your MHR (Maximum Heart Rate). To do this, go and run a really intense workout (hill reps, intervals, whatever strikes your fancy) and see what the highest number that comes up is.

Make sure this max reading is something that you held for more than 3 seconds though. There are more accurate ways to determine MHR. Google it and you'll get a few ideas. I just say be cautious of the highest reading you get on the monitor because I once hit 260 while doing strides before a tempo workout. Maybe I'm some freak of nature and that's my MHR but I think not.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    5. Jan 9, 2007 5:20 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

Well recovery runs are meant to be slow. If you're breathing audibly at all, then you're going too fast. Did you look up the right percentages though? What's your MHR?

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    6. Jan 9, 2007 5:29 PM (in response to xcrunner97)

Yes and no. 

Yes. It allows you to train at a certain level which is good.

No. Your heart rates isn't good for sprints or anything to short. You can become addicted to it. Don't solely rely on it. If you think it doesn't reflect the effort your putting into it then it probably isn't.

Try it for a couple of runs but don't where it for races.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...