Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

454 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2007 10:02 AM by bruncle RSS
Jamie034 Amateur 9 posts since
Jan 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2007 6:45 AM

Winter Training...

Well, in the winter it gets dark really early so by the time I get home from school it's too late to go running because I live in the middle of nowhere where there are not street lamps. So I'm thinking of buying a treadmill, but I don't have enough money to get a motorised one, so I'm looking at non-motorised ones. But I've only ever seen them in catalogues so does anybody know weather their any good? Do they actually turn round?

Thanks,

Jamie !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• kjb runner Legend 353 posts since
    Aug 18, 2006
    1. Feb 4, 2007 11:01 AM (in response to Jamie034)
    Re: Winter Training...

Your only 13 and you have to buy your own treadmill? Get your parents to buy you one. And treadmills are boring as hell. And what time do you get out from school? I get out at 2:40, and sometimes start my runs as late as 4:30 and I always make it back before dark in the woods.

Also, go to the local YMCA maybe?

----

My Last.fm[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

You tried to beat me
    Thought you could defeat me
    But how you we ever wrong
    I rise to the occasion
    Character assassination
    To put you down where you belong

• beanpole Legend 245 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Feb 4, 2007 1:29 PM (in response to Jamie034)

you obviously need a treadmill if your considering buying one yourself. . .

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    4. Feb 4, 2007 4:14 PM (in response to Jamie034)

Don't bother getting a treadmill.  They are really boring.  besides if you are only 12 you really shouldn't worry about training all that much in the winter.  Try to get outside.  They are so much more enjoyable.  Would you parent be opposed to you running with a headlamp.  I have had some of my best and longest runs using a headlamp. 

Go to a club or something.

• Runner for Jesus Pro 119 posts since
    Aug 11, 2006
    5. Feb 4, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to Jamie034)

I have to agree with everyone here, too. TMs are boring as ever. It's way better to be outside. they're expensive, too, so by the time you save up for one you'll probably be old enough to go outside in the dark. =) Do your parents work out or anything? Maybe you can ask them to run with you when it's dark and have some quality time together or something. Looks like you're really dedicated so I'm sure you'll think of something. =)

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    6. Feb 4, 2007 10:08 PM (in response to Jamie034)

what time do you start school? maybe running in the morning is the answer...

----

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Facebook is my new obsession.[/URL" target="_blank">

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    8. Feb 5, 2007 2:11 PM (in response to Jamie034)

for winter track, i have to be at practice at 6:15 AM twice a week.  and not just for a short run...a full track workout, complete with 2 mi warmup, 2 mi cooldown.  point is, if you want to run bad enough, you'll get it done, even if it means sacrificing some sleep.  even if you only have enough time to get in 2 miles every morning, that'll keep you in shape until daylight savings time stops screwing things up, or until you save up enough for your treadmill.  otherwise you will lose a lot of fitness. 

that said, you're only twelve.  don't get too stressed over thisyou have plenty of time to worry about year-round daily running.  do you run with a team (ie, are you running to stay in shape for spring track?) or just for fun? because i can pretty much guarantee that running on a treadmill will take most of the fun out of running.<br /><br />just my .02...<br /><br />--

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Facebook is my new obsession.[/URL" target="_blank">

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    10. Feb 16, 2007 10:02 AM (in response to Jamie034)

Those non motorised treadmills are crap, don't buy one of them. You can't change any of the settings once you've got it going, and if it's 100 pounds, I don't think it's going to last too long. Don't stress too much about being a professional runner now. It's far better to just enjoy the sport while you're young and then when you're older you can start doing some of the horrible workouts that such an occupation requires. If you can just fit in a 15 minute run before/after school, that can still do a lot for your fitness. Maybe you could run twice a day if it's easier for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...