Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5207 Views 45 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2007 5:39 PM by Deadpixel 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
May 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2007 9:23 PM

Muscle Imbalance

I've got most muscle groups figured out-for bench press counterbalance with rows and pullups-but what about legs? Is there a reverse squat? If i can't do hamstring raises, will running or biking give my hammies sufficient strength to avoid pulling something?

• CippyCup Legend 448 posts since
    Aug 21, 2006
    1. Feb 28, 2007 9:59 PM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: Muscle Imbalance

Here's a helpful tip I got from my coach "LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL NOT HELP YOU RUN FASTER. RUNNING WILL MAKE YOU RUN FASTER. PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR A RUNNER, AND NOT A WEIGHT LIFTER!" (sorry silencer) If you want to run faster, mix up your training workouts. If you don't like my answer, go ask your coach on what you should be doing in the weights department.

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    2. Feb 28, 2007 11:09 PM (in response to jeff19)

uhh sorry cippy cup but I must come down on your middle school ignorance.
    Lifting does help you become faster, this is why all major running programs have lifting incorporated into them. Lifting has improved my running immensly resulting in significant PR's and its also why on every college visit on which I have talked to coaches on, they were very keen to include that they lift.
    The biggest thing to realize is that they type of lifting is very important to what you are trying to accomplish, if you are a distance runner then lift light with numerous reps to build lean muscles and endurance not bulky muscles. If you are a sprinter then lift heavier weights with fewer reps to build explosive muscles.

Jeff, I am sorry that I do not know the answer to your question, however if you talk to the weight coach or a coach of a sport that requires a large amount of lifting they would be very helpful and maybe even eager to help you in your quest to improve your athletic ability.

What I have been told is... A FAST RUNNER IS A STRONG, FLEXIBLE, FAST RUNNER. Being well-rounded does not just apply to academics but also athletics.

----

I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile[/URL" target="_blank">

Aug 21, 2006
    4. Mar 1, 2007 12:08 AM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by Twigger:

uhh sorry cippy cup but I must come down on your middle school ignorance.

Hey its just hearsay, what I am passing on what I got from my coach.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 1, 2007 2:30 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by CippyCup:

Hey its just hearsay, what I am passing on what I got from my coach.

Definitely going to agree with Twigger on this one. Cippy, you should remember our good friend Buddha:

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    6. Mar 1, 2007 3:12 PM (in response to jeff19)

To the original point of the post - Muscle inbalance - Caused by lifting or not is the cause of many running injuries -  Problems with that achillies tendon?  Most likely caused by muscle inbalance.  IT Band issues - Muscle inbalance.

jeff19 - Squats are mostly Quads and Glutes. On one end the quads pull on the abs (Core / Core / Core - But as a wrestler - you should have a very strong core) The quads partner - on the other side of the IT Band = Hamstrings. Hanstrings pull on the Glutes and the Calves

Someone putting alot of effort in Quads - Also should be working the Hams / Calves / Glutes and Abs - This is the balance that you seek.

• zepher7blue Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 11, 2007
    7. Mar 1, 2007 3:22 PM (in response to jeff19)

I've actually go t a question about weight training too:

When I couldn't run/use my legs much, I did a lot upper body weight training. I'm still doing upper body weight training along with running.

But I was wondering if the extra pounds of muscle I've put on my upper body is going to affect my running. What do you guys think?
    I'm 5'5 and 105lbs. (I'm also a girl) which is by no means heavy- but I know I'm still more "massive" in my upper body than I once was. Will this hurt my runnning times?

Thanks!

----

With patience and salvia, the ant
    eats the elephant.
             -Columbian Proverb

• charlieeee Amateur 125 posts since
    Jan 17, 2007
    9. Mar 1, 2007 6:00 PM (in response to jeff19)

Well I've seen quite chubby girls win track meets, and Prefontaine was far from a lightweight.

• rip van racer Rookie 68 posts since
    Dec 5, 2004
    10. Mar 1, 2007 6:20 PM (in response to jeff19)

Not all college programs do extensive weight lifting.  Some feel it is a detriment to distance running.  I believe it coincides with the anaerobic percentage of the race.  It is helpful up to 5k but does not help after that.  I do believe you have to stretch and strengthen certain muscles if you are having injury problems but more than that takes too much energy that would be better spent running.  Stretching after you run is much more important than weight training.

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    11. Mar 1, 2007 6:48 PM (in response to jeff19)

I don't really think that lifting wieghts will really help you out with running.  Mabye a little if you have a muscle imbalence.  For example if you have a riped lowerbody and nothing up top (like me)  it would probably help to do some wieght lifting.  (It however doesn't help me.  I have found my balence and am going to stay there)

@zepher-The more you wiegh the slow you go up hill if all other variables stay the same. You have to find the happy place between ripped upper body and to much wieght.

----

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
    Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

Aug 21, 2006
    12. Mar 1, 2007 10:19 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by SoFarGone:

Cippy, you should remember our good friend Buddha:

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Well I agree with what my coaches say. I don't believe in weights FOR RUNNERS. If you have an imbalance or you rip something or hurt yourself, then it might be good to weight train so you balance your muscles.

• newenglandfan08 Legend 462 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    13. Mar 2, 2007 8:07 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by CippyCup:

Well I agree with what my coaches say. I don't believe in weights FOR RUNNERS. If you have an imbalance or you rip something or hurt yourself, then it might be good to weight train so you balance your muscles.

cippy, your coach is an idiot

here just a few example on why lifting helps, you improve your legs hamstring, thing muscle (you get a better kick and work better on hills)

you do your core (abs) you get stabalitity

• kjb runner Legend 353 posts since
    Aug 18, 2006
    14. Mar 2, 2007 8:50 PM (in response to jeff19)

I gained 10 pounds upper body mass since xc season, from lifting and eating more calories. None of it's fat either. I have ~10% bodyfat which is pretty normal for a distance runner

i haven't gotten any slower, and feel stronger running

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...