Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5693 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 2:35 PM by HOUSHMANDs 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2012 4:50 AM

FORMULA RUN Reviews

Share your experiences with the FORMULA RUN below Back to event details page.

• cewait Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 7, 2007
    1. Nov 4, 2012 4:50 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: FORMULA RUN Reviews

Formula Run this AM.  Not sure how F1 measures reach tracks but my Garmin only got to 3.3 miles of the 3.4 mile track.   Usually it is the other way where the Garmin goes a little long.

Not a stellar performance on my part nor RunTex's; though I think they were hamstrung by the track.  The race started 35 minutes late due to traffic snarls and the fog.  Really glad for the fog as the first quarter mile was a 100 foot incline up to a near 180 degree left turn.  I would love to say it was all down hill from there but not so much.  Because we are 2 weeks before the inaugural F1 race, I believe the RD was limited by the track owner on many things.  Only one water stop, no timing on track and very limited use of the pit facilities.  Runner?s were only allowed one visitor to the track and they had to be wrist banded; weird.  They had no access to the stands.

As with most large construction projects, there are still hundreds of workers in the area completing stands and other facilities.  Aerosmith will be there next weekend in the really nice concert pavilion that is part of the complex. 

The race was not unlike most 5k?s as there were more than enough folks in the front who should have been in the back at the start.  Seems like every corner and hill there were hundreds of folks pulling off to the side and taking photos of the facility.  It was a Disneyesque fun run; seriously.  The ties to the mouse are this is the most expensive fun run I have entered, it provided no timing and the facility was more of a draw than the race.  So getting past the delayed start, a slight lack of facilities and no timing, this was not a bad little race.  Will do again, assuming that the track allows timing mats in future races

• Ritch Haenke Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    2. Nov 4, 2012 5:02 AM (in response to Guest )

The event was the most dis-organized event I have ever participated in.  It started at the packet pick up (had nothing to do with the track - all related to runtex) and continued through the blast of the horn.

The announcers made it not fun for the participants as they waited for the runners to return.  It was quite militant.

The biggest problem was the traffic!  It was absolutely horrible.  Can not imagine what it is going to be like for 75k Formula 1 fans....

• markbmark Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    3. Nov 4, 2012 5:24 AM (in response to Guest )

Really not good, sadly. Traffic wasn't managed well at all, and that's probably a big part of the problem. But the organizers should have communicated to the racers more clearly, and we would have been more understanding. It started more than 35 minutes late; there was scant food and only one water stop; the race "packet" seemed pretty anemic, given the $50 entry fee; the announcers were irritating enough to nearly incite mutiny. RunTex usually puts on great events, but not this time. I really hope this isn't the start of a downward trend.

• fasteddy40 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2010
    4. Nov 4, 2012 5:28 AM (in response to Guest )

The event was mildly chaotic, but I didn't care. I went for the opportunity to see CoTA up close and enjoyed it. Always fun to be around fellow athletes.

• suecaseyx3 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    5. Nov 4, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to Guest )

We got there very early because we knew that as for the very 1st event at the track, there would be some issues. Keeping that in mind we were pleasantly surprised. We picked up.our packets and tshirts w/o a problem, parking was easy, and the track was AMAZING! We hope this is an annual event and we will continue to come up from San Antonio. It can only get better from here. Thank you for this opportunity.

• davstewa Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    6. Nov 4, 2012 5:50 AM (in response to Guest )

First, this was a run, not a race, and I understand about no corrals and minimal support.  But there is a limit.  Port-o-Potties?  Really?  When we pay $50 to run at a facility that should support 10s of 1000s of visitors with real bathrooms.  It was crazy that they had everyone come in across the track in front of the starting line, so the race couldn't start because so many people were still flooding in.  Of course traffic was the reason for that, the access was extremely congested, 183@812 and 130@812 were especially bad.  Other complaints were that the sound did not work anywhere except at the starting line area, when we were supposed to have music the whole way.  I guess my expectations were too high; new world class facility - phooey.  This run was like meeting in a parking lot, and running around a business complex woth port-a-pots and no place to sit down.  The whole place had construction going on everywhere.  The biggest insult was the loud metal working sound that happened right in the middle of the national anthem.  The singing of the national anthem was the highlight of the event.  I'm not sure who sang, but it was excellent!  I'll give it 3 stars just for that.  Nothing else went well.

• WDaustin Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    7. Nov 4, 2012 6:06 AM (in response to Guest )

It's been said already, the packet was terrible, the traffic was worse, one water stop?.  I've long since stopped buying shoes at runtex and this gave me no reason to change that behavior.  The track was quit cool, but i'm blaming the cluster on runtex.

• SuzanneDavis8 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2012
    8. Nov 4, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time overall. Of course with a first time event, there are glitches to overcome and learn from, especially for a site that has yet to be officially opened and tested with traffic, etc. Participants should have taken that into consideration, especially with the foggy conditions. Whether it was from waiting on late arrivals (which the entrance should not have crossed across the track after the start line), or the TV crew wanting to wait for the fog to lift, or just the general first-time hiccups for event organizers, it was disappointing that the "race" couldn't still start "on time". I'm looking forward to the next Formula Run to enjoy and see what improvements have been made.

• jh1844 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 9, 2010
    9. Nov 4, 2012 7:09 AM (in response to Guest )

Unfortunately, the whole thing was poorly organized. I have been a runner for a long time and have never seen a race delayed by 45 minutes... but they had to because traffic was horrible. I understand it was a first time event and there will be some glitches but it seems as though there should have been some collaboration with how to put on a running event...

• RGUARD Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2012
    10. Nov 4, 2012 7:20 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 5K, but my wife runs and so I am familiar with the events. This was fun but yes chaotic. The infrastructure of the COTA needs work but the facility itself is near perfect for running. Lots of room, no streets to close off and wide smooth road. Great venue, and with some tweaking will be PERFECT for running

• John Dubya Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    11. Nov 4, 2012 7:22 AM (in response to Guest )

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about the track.  I'd bill it as a family event for sure.  Let them sit in traffic for 2 hours.  Been there done that...

• Senorchickeno Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 25, 2012
    12. Nov 4, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to Guest )

I guess because it was the inaugural event, it was never going to be perfect, but there's a LOT to be improved upon; hopefully the organizers will take note of everything being said...

Pros

- Running the F1 circuit was pretty amazing; cool to be a part of, good to run on, lots of interesting things to see.

- Singer of the National Anthem was actually amazing!

- post run refreshments were plentiful and there was a good choice

Cons

- Traffic - we planned on arriving early and spent about 45 minutes on the toll road that connects to the Circuit of Americas track. Essentially it's a small single lane highway that links to the circuit, the toll road and is a stone's throw from Austin's airport. Based on the delays for a running event, I'm staying WAY away from South Austin when the real F1 kicks off. Pro-tip: if you're going to the F1 leave hours earlier than you thought; I doubt they will hold up that race which could leave you disappointed/frustrated!

- Cost vs. packet - I really did do this run and all I got was a lousy T-shirt. Smaller events than this have higher quality shirts... This was a real opportunity wasted. If there was anything else packet wise, I didn't see it.

- Announcers - we're annoying, and it was only fortunate that the speaker system was malfunctioning so it kept their irritating banter confined to the starting area.

- Stewards - rude and abrasive; after I've just run 3.5 miles, I don't want to be barked at by someone as to where to go next. Thanks. There were also cooler, yellow shirts around (why these weren't the official ones I can't imagine) but these were handed out randomly from the back of a truck, inspiring scenes of people desperately trying to get something cool out of the day as a memento.

So, a great, historic day at a very cool race circuit is the only reason this gets two stars, almost every other aspect of it was weak/frustrating.

• brightbluesky Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2012
    13. Nov 4, 2012 8:33 AM (in response to Guest )

Running on the Formula One track was pretty amazing!  I agree with all the frustrations from the horrible packet pickup to the 45 minute delay.  I was one of the ones who lucked out and got there early, but waited at the start line for an extra 45 minutes.  Since this was an untimed event, it would have been better to start the race on time for the people who were already there and then start others in 10-15 minute increments after the initial crowd passed.  I also did not agree with the fog delay for the tv show being produced.  I dont think anyone cared (or knew) about the tv show.  I was there to run the track, not be on tv.    I also agree  with other reviewers that we should have been able to use the facility bathrooms, the announcers were annoying and the $50 fee was outrageous.  Not having the correct shirt sizes that we registered for at packet pickup and having to wait in ANOTHER line at the race to switch them out was also annoying.  It would have also been nice to have a F1 car start the race not a Fiat!  Communication on the packet pickup, traffic, etc. via e-mail or facebook would have been nice as well.

Despite all the obvious frustrations, it was an amazing venue for a race and we got to run on the F1 track!  I can only imagine the stress the event organizers were under given the circumstances.  I would expect  that next years race will be a lot more organized and better planned.  

• AnnWorthington0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    14. Nov 4, 2012 8:34 AM (in response to Guest )

Not good- the worst organized race I have done. First time I have spent $50 for an entry fee, they had no medium tee shirts at check in and they were gone by the time we finally got into race/parking lot (we would have been there at 7:30am if not for the "race entry traffic", no toilet paper in the port a potties, First time I have missed the start (spent ONE HOUR sitting on Hwy 130 trying to get there- NO traffic help there but several waving us into the parking lot at 8:40am - when start time was 8am- then moved to 8:30am due to the terrible logistics of getting there), very little fun stuff at the race once we got in.  Seeing the race track was the only perk-and it was still being worked on and it was so foggy you could not see the overall track (that was not the organizers fault- just a fluke that made the morning even less enjoyable) Would not do this again.  Kept wondering where the $50 entry fee went since it did benefit any charitable organization and the execution of the race day did not go well. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...