Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1946 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 9:40 PM by crl8686 RSS
BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2012 8:54 PM

Running pants/sweats for COLD weather??

Okay, not "Alaska" cold, but cold enough to bundle up!

I live in a high desert area and am needing some running pants that'll keep me warm in cold temps...we'll say around 32 degrees - I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to run when it's below freezing outside!  ha ha

I'm fairly new to running and I don't want to break the bank.  Does anyone have any suggestions, favorite brands, or favorite features you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Jenn

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Nov 13, 2012 5:21 AM (in response to BradenMommyof5)
    Re: Running pants/sweats for COLD weather??

At 32 degrees, you should be able to get by with just running tights for your legs.  All the major brands sell them and I'm guessing they're less money than running pants.

Gloves for your hands and an unlined windbreaker will come in handy as well.  If you buy a windbreaker, be sure to buy one with a full length zipper, you can use the zipper to help control body temperature if you start to heat up.

For me, just one tech shirt under the windbreaker works fine at your temps.  Lastly, a hat will help keep you warm also.

Good luck!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Nov 12, 2012 2:17 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)
    Re: Running pants/sweats for COLD weather??

Hi Jenn,

There are a lot of quality brands offering thermal wear, and I like the options from Nike because they have a good variety of dri-fit options, balancing polyester/spandex fabrics.  Champion is another favorite brand for tights and/or pants (they are economical, warm, flexible and highly durable).  I prefer the pants with zippered legs because they allow a tighter, lower-leg fit that works great with blocking out the wind and covering compression socks. 

I am always looking for bargains also because running gear can be very expensive, so try looking at Ebay...I highly recommend that..I have identified some great finds that way, including new items at about half the retail price. 

P.S...If you have regular sweats, make sure to wear a wicking layer underneath.  Anything 100% cotton will quickly become soggy, stick your body and cause you to freeze.

Stay warm and best wishes!

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Nov 12, 2012 10:12 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)

For me, temperatures at home in Los Angeles rarely go below 40 deg. However, when I travel back east in late fall/winter/early spring, I'll run outdoors in 30-40 deg. For those temperatures, I use thin long leggings (a bit looser in the legs than tights, just my preference), and a long sleeve T-shirt under a lightweight polypro fleece. I bought the leggings at Sports Authority and they were quite reasonably priced. The fleece is from a local university store, but places like Sports Authority and the like sell similar ones. If you use a fleece, make sure it's polypro or comparable synthetic fabric that will insulate when wet. Mine happens to have a half-length zipper, which works well, although I agree a full length zipper would be ideal. Also a lightweight wool hat and middleweight (polarfleece-type) gloves - I like to keep my hands warm. Finally, don't forget your feet at those temperatures. Lightweight wool socks work well. Make sure to try them on with your running shoes before buying, since they're thicker than normal running socks and will fit a little differently.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Revel in Running Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 24, 2012 5:43 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)

These winter running pants from Sugoi have been getting some nice reviews.

http://revelsports.com/sugoi/41203f.asp?id=1331

"Light thermal protection, loose-fitting alternative to running tights with a loose shape for comfort."

• huntresshottie Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2011
    5. Nov 29, 2012 6:03 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)

I live about 5600 ft elevation, so it gets below freezing in the winter. I haven't invested in the name brand running tights or cold gear yet, so I really don't have much to compare. I will say, however, I was desparate the other day for a quick fix as the temps are well into the upper 30s to low 40s and I needed something warm fast. I went to Target to see what they had. I bought the Power Core running tights.They are slightly thicker than my regular running tights from New Balance. I have run in the Target brand several times and have been pleasently surprised at how comfortable and warm they are. And they weren't that expensive.I also bought their running gloves and headband that covers your ears and has a whole for a ponytail. Cheap investments for a good return.

Good Luck to you

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    6. Dec 26, 2012 6:50 AM (in response to BradenMommyof5)

Just want to say thanks for asking the question BradenMommyof5, and thanks for the helpful answers everyone!  I have been a treadmill newbie runner for about forever, and am kind of eager to do some winter running (I run fairly hot and get cranky when I get hot while running), but in generally damp, cool-not-cold Washington DC's weather, I've been unsure what to think about wearing. 

I plan on checking out my local RoadRunner Sports store, the Sports Authority store near me, and Target this week, but will definitely look at eBay (it's icy rain today so that may be my "shopping" for today).  If I find any surprises I'll post some more.

Thanks again!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    7. Jan 8, 2013 9:40 PM (in response to BowieLinda)

Well, for what it's worth, will soon be running at dawn in my 30-40 deg gear - but right outside my front door. Even in suburban Los Angeles! Area forecast from Accuweather.com

Untitled.jpg

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points