Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

575 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 12:25 PM by Deacon Blues
Deacon Blues Amateur 8 posts since
Dec 10, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 12, 2012 12:25 PM

Review: 2012 Knoxville Fall Classic Double Century

Did the 2012 Knoxville Fall Classic Double Century route with a modified course due to road construction.

The Knoxville Fall Classic is a really great double century bicycle ride hosted by the Quack Cyclists: http://www.quackcyclists.com/Knoxville.cfm. The course

contains parts of the courses of the Monticello Solano Century, Davis Double, Enviro-sports Berryessa 70.3 Triathalon, among others. The course has varied

and enjoyable senery from grassy rolling hills to vineyards to forested hills. The main climbs on the course are the Howell Mountain, Knoxville, and Loch

Lomond climbs. The Knoxville Fall Classic seems to strike a balance between an "easy" double and a DC "sufferfest" like the Terrible Two or Devil Mountain

Double; though a serious heatwave would make this course quite a challenge. My rating for this ride is 4.5 stars.
To paraphrase Misters Stephenson & Bongiovanni: get in there and ride this thing.

Pros:

Nice, enjoyable and varied scenery
SUPERB support, friendly, helpful volunteers
Quality food and nutritional fueling products (range of Hammer Nutrition products, including Endurolytes)
Lots of SAG vehicles observed on all portions of the route
Signage and ride sheets clear and precise
Quality pastas, meat (and salad!) with dinner at ride finish
Historical site at ride start and finsh (Pena Adobe park)

Cons

No online registration

The Regular DC course not enough climbing (12,000+ ft) for you? Consider extending the ride and taking the Mix Canyon Road (near beginning/end of the ride

and the Steepest Mile in California at 15.8%) or taking Socrates Mine Road - from the intersection of Hwy 175 to the last geothermal facility at the top

right when it start to descend again. Socrates Mine Road has a Hors rating.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...