Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

759 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 6:56 AM by Rich in NH RSS
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 13, 2012 3:27 PM

Runs & workouts, Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I jus be chillin tonight. After all my running the last few days, I'm resting my bones. Tomorrow I'll go at it again.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Nov 13, 2012 3:55 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Just a quick mtn bike ride for me today, 4 miles in 20:13.  I got on the scale today and have picked up another pound from somewhere.  I've made a conscious effort to watch what I'm eating, but maybe I need to cut back instead.  

D.H., I meant to wish you luck with your new training plan, so good luck.  And getting back to fighting injuries since high school, it makes me wonder what kind of runner you could have been had you been able to train consistently.  My hat's off to you for hanging tough for as long as you have.

And Ray, if you're ever in need of a few extra pounds, I've got some I'll gladly send you.  This is getting ugly... 

Edited to add: Dark Horse, how's this for memory?  I found this... http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/author/glamothe/ and remember you two used to play chess on-line on this forum.  Thought you might get a kick out of seeing it, he's still writing for the paper in Dallas.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Nov 14, 2012 6:56 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Tuesday, November 13, 2012

D.H., what a shame for Dark Colt, to have the talent to compete, but the injuries that prevent it from ever happening.  I can only imagine how frustrating that must be for both of you.

And I agree, avoiding injuries is the key to successful running.  My latest injury could have been avoided if I hadn't set a goal to run 70 mile weeks leading up to my last marathon.  I'd read that 70 gets you to a new fitness level and I wanted to see if I could do it.

I'd never run close to that kind of mileage and the amazing thing is, I actually pulled it off, running 1/2 mile interval sessions and tempo runs as part of each week's mileage, as well as 20 mile long runs.

Actually running the marathon I'd trained for is what set me up to get hurt, then running a 5K shortly after finished me off.  And as with most inuries, I didn't see it coming until it was too late.

And now, to top it off, I'm losing muscle mass and fitness every day that I'm away from running.  I'd hoped to go into next spring with the fitness I'd gained through all the hard miles I'd run this year, instead, I'll be starting all over again.

A perfect example of why avoiding injuries is so important...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...