Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

844 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 9:29 PM by JoshWin RSS
natasha12925 Rookie 2 posts since
May 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2012 8:47 AM

Need advice on when to run my next marathon...

Hi everyone,

I ran my first marathon Oct 21 in Applachicola, FL.  It was a thrilling experience and I am ready for the next one.  My ideal time is April, but unfortunately, I live in FL and there aren't a lot of marathons around here April and beyond because of the heat.  There are two in Georgia that I am thinking about.  (I really want to do Georgia because it's driving distance and I can get started on my goal of running a marathon in all 50 states).  My predicament is that I will be traveling a lot late Dec through the month of January.  I'm not sure where/when, but I imagine my training won't be able to be as stringent as when I trained for my first one.  However, when I trained for my first one I was training in the FL heat throughout the summer so I was VERY cautious and trained for about 5 months so I could spread it out.  Since my marathon, I am still doing long runs of 12-14 miles and overall keeping a weekly mileage of 22-26 miles. 

There is one in Albany, GE March 2 that is about a 5 hour drive.  The con to this is that I would feel pressure to get in my longer training runs (18-20 miles) in the month of Feb and probably wouldn't have too much time to Taper.

There is another one I am looking at in Atlanta, GE.  An 8 hour drive, and an overall more expensive marathon (hotels, entry fee, etc).  However, it is mid-march (16-17?) which would provide me with more time to get my longer training runs in Feb and spend the first two weeks of March tapering. 

When  I trained for my first marathon, I did two 20 mile runs.  I would feel okay only doing one if necessary as the weather is cooler and I tend to run a bit stronger in the "winter" months in FL.

Am I crazy for trying to fit this all in?  Should I just wait until the end of 2013?  I'm not sure I can do that, as I definitely "have the marathon bug".

Thanks for your advice!

• JGoing Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    1. Nov 14, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to natasha12925)

Sounds like you've got plenty of time to prep.  You have a decent base to springboard into your next training cycle.  I generally make sure I have 3 months to prep for each marathon.  I would choose the marathon the you expect to have the better overall experience.  A good race on a fun course with lots of spectators can make all the difference for moral in a long run.  If the registration is slow to fill, you can also make the choice closer to time and see how comfortable you'll be when it's closer to race time.

With heavy travel, it depends on where you travel to, how busy you are, and what options you have near by.  I tend to travel out of state at least once a month.  I take my running gear, but I also try to plan so that my shorter/recovery weeks land on those excursions.

Good Luck!

JGoing

Complete:2 OKC Memorial Marathons | 1 Mother Road Marathon (OK->KS->MO) | 2 Dallas White Rock Marathons| 1 50-Mile Cross Timber Ultra | 1 Graveyard 100-Mile Ultra

Upcoming: Route 66 Marathon | Dallas Marathon

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Nov 16, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to natasha12925)

Seems like you are doing great and certainly would not have to wait until the end of next year.  The only thing I might suggest is to look at same half marathons or even a few 10k or 15K events to fill in with your training schedule while you are deciding on finding the right opportunity for the next full. 

(I am also thinking about Atlanta in March..the Georgia Marathon has a good reputation).  Anyway, you will be fine with another major event in the Spring.  I also understand how it is stressful to make a commitment many months out for the largest events and the other expenses associated with travel.  Maybe also check into S.C., there are some good races there in March/April.  Also, see about networking with some running clubs/groups because sometimes they host out-of-state runners and can offer good connections for discounts and so on. 

Wishing you all the best on your search and plans!

• JoshWin Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2012
    3. Nov 26, 2012 9:29 PM (in response to natasha12925)

Just a thought but CoachFitter.com has a new Athltes Forum where you can post questions like this. THe questions are sent will out to Professional coaches that will give you advice. Here is a link incase you want to try it out.  http://coachfitter.com/forum-2/

Best of look on you next race!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...