Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2536 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 9:54 AM by rb77
ShoeRunner50 Rookie 6 posts since
Oct 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2012 9:24 PM

A good replacement for the Asics Gel Cumulus 13??

Hey gang...

I did a post a few hours ago that got a few hits...but no replys...guess it was too long...Shorter this time..This years "model" for the Asics Gel Cumulus has MUCH LESS padding and comfort for my 150lb plus body. Called the Company and they recommended the Gel Nimbus...Bought it...It is not a very good replacement...Anyone know of a different brand that has lots of padding to give the best "shock protection" for worn out knees??? I know everyone is different and it is hard to recommend a shoe to someone you don't know...I am just looking for some different shoe that you guys KNOW has lots of padding...THANKS!!!

• PineGroveDave Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    1. Nov 15, 2012 8:34 AM (in response to ShoeRunner50)

Well I'm a bit of a newbie, so take this for what it's worth...

I've been an avid fan of Asics for some time now. In fact, I ran two Tough Mudders in them. Just this week I replaced my old pair of Asics w/ the Saucony Progrid Guide 5. I've never tried Saucony, but...WOW!!! I ran my fastest 10K in them and boy are they "comfy". I'm 5'10" 180lbs. HTH

• klmtiger Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 17, 2012
    2. Nov 15, 2012 12:19 PM (in response to ShoeRunner50)

Hi there... I know exactly what you're talking about with the Cumulus 14 vs the Cumulus 13. I really liked the cushion of the Cumulus 13 but they changed it so much!

I'm currently loving my Brooks Glycerin 9s and I have a pair of Saucony ProGrid Triumph 9s being delivered today (come on FedEx truck!). Both have really nice cushion, and also work with my somewhat narrower heels. I'm a 5'5", 160lb woman. Good luck!

• dizrun Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 15, 2012
    3. Nov 15, 2012 12:42 PM (in response to klmtiger)

I recommend of the glycerin 9s too. Much easier on my feet!

• Marshall Hunt Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2012
    4. Nov 16, 2012 6:08 AM (in response to ShoeRunner50)

I've turned much quicker times since moving to the Saucony Progrid Guide 5s as well, however they are wearing out much faster than my Asics GTs. I've only put around 300 miles on them, but will probably need to ditch them after Thanksgiving.

I'll probably end up buying the Guide 6s for racing and speed workout days, and maybe a pair of Asics Gt-2000s for the other times.

I'm considering trying a pair of Mizuno's this year too.

For the record, I also tried the Brooks Adrenaline 12s last year, and I felt like I was running with concrete blocks on my feet. Tons of shin pain too.

5'9":205lbs

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010

I'm a little late looking at this post, but I thought I would comment after I read Marshall's post, and the original post (and the other posts).

I hate Asics for running. Maybe the running store put me in the wrong pair of shoes based on my pronation on the treadmill in the store at that time. That was 4 years ago when I started running, then I stopped for a while, because I had shin splints, then plantar faciitus. Maybe it was the shoes, maybe it was how I ran. Who knows. I know that they were very clumpy when I ran.

When I returned to running two years ago, I went with the most comfortable shoe (forget the pronation). My choice came down to the Brooks Adrenaline and the Mizuno Wave Precision 11. I probably would have been happy with either one. I liked the way the Brooks fit around the middle of my foot, but I thought the Mizunos were a more comfortable fit (for me) overall.

Marshall's comment about the Sauconys wearing out at 300 miles, made me want to add that I am now running in Newton Gravity's and I am over 300 miles in them and they are barely worn. They are about 75% more expensive than my Mizunos, but they will probably last twice as long. They estimate that you can go 800 to 900 miles before getting a new pair. That will take me through the winter and most of the spring.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points