Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

938 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2007 8:14 PM by Sportz535 RSS
kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
Sep 22, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2007 9:15 PM

Falling while running

So I was doing a 9 mile run today (it rained last night). As I was making a 90 degree right hand turn from asphalt to gravel, my feet pushed out from under me and down I went. I got a little cut up and bruised and since there were at least three other people there to see me fall, it was pretty embarassing. I had fallen earlier in the year on a wet wooden bridge while making a turn.

Have any of you guys fallen during training or even a race?

• buka harris Pro 108 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 15, 2007 9:46 PM (in response to kirby111)
    Re: Falling while running

It is funny you mention it. Last week I was doing 400meter repeats with my team on the track . On my tenth one I went to cut in front of a kid and he stepped on my heal. I was running almost a sprint and I slid about ten feet on my bare back and legs scraping them open and getting bad rode burn. I got up and still endeed up being the first one to end the lap.

• Deadpixel Legend 321 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 15, 2007 10:06 PM (in response to kirby111)

Yesterday at a meet I tripped over a little fence thing.

It was right at the end of a long hill, so my legs were totally beat.  I got up and don't think it changed my pace very much though, although it was embarrassing.

• newenglandfan08 Legend 462 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    3. Sep 15, 2007 11:37 PM (in response to kirby111)

i tripped a kid today from the team who pushed me in a big ditch (hole in the side of the road) last year

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    4. Sep 16, 2007 10:34 AM (in response to kirby111)

oh more times than i can remember.

Actually, I feel a couple weeks ago in my first college race and didnt finish which is the first time that has happened from falling.
    It's pretty pathetic actually, it was in the mountains of W.Virginia and there were roots everywhere and i hit one and went down hard. How hard? well you know that the bib numbers in XC are laminated or something and are virtually impossible to tear? Well mine tore off my singlet when i slid.
    I had this massive bump on my patella which turned my entire knee purple, rocks in my hands, knuckles scraped up, shoulder scraped up and bleeding, and i fractured a finger near the joint.  Fun times, not. Although the bruises were cool to show off.

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Sep 16, 2007 10:57 AM (in response to kirby111)

The question is, when you fell, did you stop your watch before you hit the ground? LoL. I know I've had a couple situations where I've done this.
    Actually my falling story was pretty funny. It was also a rainy day and me and a couple guys from my old high school were out running and we came to these huge mansions that were built near our trails and one had a sign that said something along the lines of no trespassing. It was held up by a string/wire that was tied to posts at the two corners of the lawn. So being the badass that I am I shouted something like, "No trespassing? You're the ones trespassing on MY trails". Then I preceded to hurdle the sign but slipped on the wet grass as I was jumping, clipped my toe on the string and face-planted in the mud.

• linganorexc111 Pro 154 posts since
    Jul 24, 2007
    6. Sep 16, 2007 3:22 PM (in response to kirby111)

welll last year i fell in six meets haaa

but i havent this year ive been more aggressive about it and the slow just get out of my way... its nice

• nrunner073 Amateur 25 posts since
    Mar 11, 2007
    7. Sep 16, 2007 4:01 PM (in response to kirby111)

last year at a meet we had to run over this little wood bridge and my spike got caught between the planks right at the end and i did a summersault over the sidewalk. it would have been funny, but becuase of it i missed my pr by like 3 seconds. Then, at the next meet, which was confrence, after the first like 800 i tripped on my shoelaces and went down.. im really clumsy...

• Aileen XC Amateur 31 posts since
    Aug 3, 2007
    8. Sep 16, 2007 5:10 PM (in response to kirby111)

one time i was WALKING our OWN course at PRACTICE, and i came over the down from the top of a hill, was in the very front of the pack while the rest of the group was looking down at me because they were on the hill, and i just did a completely random face plant!  and it's not like i tried to stop myself with my hands or anything.  i was just laying flat on my stomach on the ground lol!

and today i was running at a huge road race, and some kid next to me from another high school tripped on the curb and did 5 or six full log rolls across it.  first i freaked out because i thought he was seriously hurt, but then once he started cursing profusely i concluded that he was ok and had a good laugh about it lol.

• ctchshtnstars Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 19, 2007
    9. Sep 16, 2007 9:00 PM (in response to kirby111)

We were warming up on the course before the state meet and one of my team mates tripped b/c he wasn't looking where he was going.  He had to be taken out on the ATV because he sprained his ankle so bad.  He was varsity, it was the state meet, needless to say my coach wasn't impressed. Its a pretty good joke now.

• neverenough Pro 159 posts since
    Nov 5, 2006
    10. Sep 16, 2007 10:07 PM (in response to kirby111)

I was running trails a few weeks ago and tripped on a rock.  I fell and scraped my leg pretty bad.  3 long scratches down half of the length of my shin.  There were lots of tiny rocks in it too.  I was only about 20 minutes into my run and had to keep going for 40 minutes with bloody gashes down my leg.

It was bad enough to get the trainers and myself pretty concerned.  It was swelling a lot and they were telling me about compartment syndrome and to go to the emergency room if I lost feeling in my foot.  Later on I was sitting funny on a chair and cutting off the blood flow to my leg so it went numb, that kind of scared me for a minute until I could feel it again.

• Bugmenot043 Legend 353 posts since
    Nov 29, 2006
    11. Sep 16, 2007 10:46 PM (in response to kirby111)

three years ago i was running some trails and it was really narrow and really steep down and i tripped on a rock and rolled over and over to the bottom of the hill, and while i was rolling i could see dabs of red flying everywhere. and then i was at the bottom of the hill and i just lay there for quite some time because i couldnt move and pain throbbed my whole body. finally i tried to get up and i almost collapsed again and on my arms and legs the skin was completely scraped away, with only bloody streaks all over my body. i looked up at the hill, and there was blood trails all over it. i couldnt really walk because the pain in my leg was tremendous and i ended up crawling to the nearest "camp" area.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    12. Sep 17, 2007 3:40 AM (in response to kirby111)

Sh*te, some of you guys have had some pretty serious falls:O The only fall I've ever had to my memory was at the end of a long run. There's this chain link fence that you have to jump over and my legs were so tired that I couldn't jump high enough and ended up spread-eagled on the ground. Luckily it was tanbark and the only person who noticed was a teacher from school.

• Sportz535 Amateur 52 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Sep 18, 2007 8:14 PM (in response to kirby111)

The second race of my freshman year in high school I managed to trip on a root and somehow ended up with poison ivy from it. My coach freaked out and called the school and made them search the course for the poison ivy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...