Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4718 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2007 6:46 PM by TeleTurner 1 2 3 Previous Next
quickchick10 Pro 141 posts since
Aug 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2007 10:19 AM

EVER HEARD OF PAAVO?

(I am talking about the training- not the guy.)
I know this is one of those forms of training you etiher love or you hate. I luv it. If you don't feel free to say so, but what I'm really lookin' for is to see who hears runs paavo. What levels are you on, how's it going for you?

----

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.[http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=quickchick10]

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    1. Sep 29, 2007 4:00 AM (in response to quickchick10)
    Re: EVER HEARD OF PAAVO?

Nope, (and couldn't really find anything on google) do tell?

• TeleTurner Pro 190 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 29, 2007 10:47 AM (in response to quickchick10)

I've heard that Colby Lowe and the whole Southlake Carroll team do Paavo.  But I don't know what it is.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Sep 29, 2007 1:43 PM (in response to quickchick10)

quote:

Originally posted by quickchick10:

(I am talking about the training- not the guy.)
    I know this is one of those forms of training you etiher love or you hate. I luv it. If you don't feel free to say so, but what I'm really lookin' for is to see who hears runs paavo. What levels are you on, how's it going for you?

Obviously from my name I also run PAAVO. Let me just say it is totally worth it. The demands are really intense and it's a great way to tell who is working hard and who isn't. By the way, is this who I think it is? Courtney?

• kirby111 Legend 402 posts since
    Sep 22, 2007
    4. Sep 29, 2007 5:12 PM (in response to quickchick10)

WHAT IS IT?

5. Sep 29, 2007 6:00 PM (in response to quickchick10)

It's a complicated training system that focuses on running and how running can help you later on in life. It is really amazing b/c it helps you cope with just about everything difficult you will have to deal with in ur life. It really stresses running every day and maintaining ur training levels. There are key quotes and one liners that you keep in your logbook as motivation. For more information visit www.paavorunningcamps.com[/URL" target="_blank">

The camps are great for motivation and put you in a true running environment. It's a great place for runners who feel like outsiders in their community.

• Bugmenot043 Legend 353 posts since
    Nov 29, 2006
    6. Sep 29, 2007 6:08 PM (in response to quickchick10)

wait so what TYPE of workouts do you do? can you describe a few "paavo" workouts please because there isn't much on that site.

7. Sep 29, 2007 6:30 PM (in response to quickchick10)

OK if you haven't run in a while then you will go through a process of structured running for about 3 weeks to get in shape. The 1st real phase of training is called PPM(Pace Per Mile). Monday-Long run- This is based on how many miles you will be doing for the week and is your longest nonstop run. Doesn't matter how fast just don't ever stop. Tuesday-SPPM(Short Pace Per Mile) - This is as fast as you can go and should be treated like a race. Again distance depends on weekly mileage.Wednesday-CT(Critical Threshold)- Basically this is a recovery run. You add 45 seconds to ur pace per mile on the SPPM. Important to run within this frame to maintain speed.Thursday-LPPM(Long Pace Per Mile) Whatever you ran on ur SPPM you try to do it again and then finish up the rest of the run. For Example, If ur SPPM time for 2 miles is 12:39, then you run 4 miles on ur LPPM and try to hit ur 1st 2 miles in 12:39 and finish up the run. Friday-CT-Add 45 seconds to ur pace per mile just like u did on tuesday. Saturday-BU/LD(Basic Unit over Longest Day)-You have a timed mile as fast as you can go and then finish the day off with more miles. This will be ur longest day of the week. This is also the only day u can seperate ur miles. Distance depends on level. Sunday-CT-Same as friday. You do this until you move up to more difficult training levels. It's really complicated but the results are amazing.

Sep 26, 2005
    8. Sep 29, 2007 10:58 PM (in response to quickchick10)

Sounds much too intense to do year round... I count 4 hard workouts (Long run, time trial x 3) per week.. Maybe this would be ok towards the end of the season, but doing this much work every week would rapidly lead to you going stale..

9. Sep 30, 2007 8:14 AM (in response to quickchick10)

If you do everything right you will see amazing results. It may leave you tired every day but it is totally worth it.

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Sep 30, 2007 9:21 AM (in response to quickchick10)

quote:

Originally posted by paavo07:

If you do everything right you will see amazing results. It may leave you tired every day but it is totally worth it.

The results will be that you have lost your endurance because you have too many highly anaerobic workouts. The initial premise that you could, "through a process of structured running for about 3 weeks" get in shape is somewhat silly as it take years, not weeks.

The local high school is ranked number 1 in the country in cross country.  They have been training hard for four years to get as fit as they are right now. Yearly progess, not weekly is the key to running well.

11. Sep 30, 2007 4:14 PM (in response to quickchick10)

Well you see there are a lot of successful schools that run PAAVO and go on to have great athletes compete in college. In fact there is this really awesome runner from TX that does PAAVO. His name is Colby Lowe. Maybe you've heard of him

• linganorexc111 Pro 154 posts since
    Jul 24, 2007
    12. Sep 30, 2007 6:23 PM (in response to quickchick10)

he is a beast.

paavo kinda sounds like what my team does but we dont call it paavo. My coach ran for texas so we do alot of things similar to what your talking about

Sep 26, 2005
    13. Oct 1, 2007 5:22 AM (in response to quickchick10)

quote:

Originally posted by paavo07:

Well you see there are a lot of successful schools that run PAAVO and go on to have great athletes compete in college. In fact there is this really awesome runner from TX that does PAAVO. His name is Colby Lowe. Maybe you've heard of him

I'd be surprised if these successful paavo high schools do produce great college athletes. Have you got more examples than just one guy? There are lots of amazing athletes that did not train the PAAVO way. No internationally successful runner trains like that all year round. I completely agree with Richard. Anaerobic training like that will max out your improvement within a few weeks or months at the most.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...