Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1093 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 11:46 AM by Rich in NH
Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 22, 2012 9:11 AM

Runs & workouts, Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Easy gym workout:

Stretching

10 pushups

10 situps

10 dumbell curls each arm

10 lat pulldowns

10 leg presses each leg

10 kickbacks each leg

hip exercises

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    1. Nov 22, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Runs & workouts, Thursday, November 22, 2012

DH, good workout and Happy Thanksgiving back at you (and you too Rich!)

Did a 10K this morning, 47:16 official time. I was shooting for under 48, so not bad.  Beautiful morning, nice and crisp, for this area - not back east, with a nice mist on the lake/pond at the start.  We, as a family were still discussing things when the race started, so at the back...no mats at the start, again.  Warmed up nicely during the race, tho my hands reached ambient temps pretty quickly - they're still cold...son did the 5K, wife did the 1/2, shop we covered the whole event.  Son finished 4th overall, I finished 5th overall, so you know it was a small event and fairly slow.  Still, looks good on the resume...;-)

Ray

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Nov 22, 2012 3:29 PM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!  The only thing I did today was eat and watch football.  And you're right D.H., sometimes the smartest thing to do isn't the most fun, but tomorrow's another day.

Nice race Ray, you ran a good time. You didn't mention your shin, it's better, eh?

And nice workout at the gym D.H., it's all good.

Here's another explanation for "contrast baths". http://amazinghealth.com/AH-health-hot-cold-bath-blood-circulation  As you can see, they're not just for Carpal Tunnel, but will help heal a number of injuries... 

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Nov 23, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to Dark-Horse)
    Re: Runs & workouts, Thursday, November 22, 2012

What I like about the second link is they give you water temperature recommendations, it's all a guessing game unless you have those numbers. 

I've been doing these soaks for a couple of days now.  Twice a day and I've changed the sequence to 2 minutes in each and 8 of each before I call it quits.  Here's hoping it helps with Carpal Tunnel.

I've also got more going on with my injured foot than I first realized, turns out a tendon called the Posterior Tibial Tendon goes around the ankle under the skin, then makes a turn into the foot at about mid-point of the instep.  I have a sore spot right where that tendon turns into the foot and it's a symptom of Tendonitis in that tendon.

What's even more odd is the recommendations for Plantar Faciitis recovery are the same as recovery for inflammation of this tendon, so it looks like I've got both.  That tendon actually supports the arch and if it deteriorates, you can end up with a flat foot that can't be fixed.  Yikes!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...