Skip navigation

1738 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 2:43 PM by kentuckyfan1
kentuckyfan1 Amateur 28 posts since
Mar 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2012 5:41 PM

What position should I play?

I'm a 12 year old, 5'4", and weighs 166 pounds. I am a so-so shooter with a good rebounder. I was thinking what position should I be?

Great players don't quit, but losers do- Kentuckyfan1

• SplitSecondBasketball Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 15, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 24, 2012 10:08 PM (in response to kentuckyfan1)
    What position should I play?

It has been said by so many coaches that it feels like a cliche to repeat it....but it's true.....DO NOT LABEL YOURSELF A GUARD, FORWARD OR CENTER......just become a player.

By that I mean you need to learn the fundamentals of an all round player, not just of a position.  First of all, you have no idea what postion you'll be playing in 5 years from now.  Second of all, no coach wants a big man who can't dribble or a guard who can never post up. 

You need to learn the skills and understand the roles of all 5 positions on the court.  If you spend the majority of your time working on your ball handling, shooting and passing, you will be ready to play any position needed when it comes time for you to pick your position.

P.S.  The best example of someone who didn't let traditional wisdom of "put the big guys inside with their backs to the basket" is Kevin Durant.  No doubt he would have been a solid NBA player as a back to the basket big man. However, but by working on his spit second "guard" skills at a young age inspite of his height, Durant has become arguably the best in the world.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points