Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

941 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 8:16 AM by squilky RSS
squilky Pro 91 posts since
Jul 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2012 6:43 AM

Nutrition during half marathon training

I signed up to do the R&R half in Washington DC on March 16th. I'm using the RunKeeper Sub 2:30 half marathon training plan. Right now, I am only in week 2, so my weekly miles are only around 12-15 miles. But looking ahead, I see that over the next few weeks, my miles will steadily increase to a point where I will be logginhg 100+ miles in a month. Up to this point, I have mainly run shorter distance (6 miles and less), so I never had to worry much about hydrating and fueling myself. My concern is that if I neglect my nutrition, that my body will shut down on me once I start logging a lot of weekly miles. I don't want to burn out before the race (although there is a taper built into my plan). So before I head out for an 8, 10, 12+ mile run, what should I be eating? Ive read some people like gels, some people like energy bars, others likle a slice of bread with peanut butter and a banana. Is it a matter of preference? Or is there a benefit to one over the others? And as far as after my runs, what should I be doing? Should I drink a protein shake? Eat a light meal? As far as hydrating, I tend to drink a lot an hour or so before I run. When I've run 8 miles before, I ran it without drinking anything during the actual run. Is there a rule of thumb that says for every mile I should be drinking x number of ounces of liquid?

Any guidance/suggestions are much appreciated.

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 3, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to squilky)
    Nutrition during half marathon training

For a half you will not need to worry that much, before long runs you can eat about 200 cal an hour before (Peanut Butter and a banana should be fine).  I don't eat much or worry about it much for 12 miles or less.  You should all ways only drink to thirst!  A protein drink after your LR will help you recovery Chocolate milk is great!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points