Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3340 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 3:30 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Hecuba Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 10, 2012 9:49 AM

Will I finish my first Marathon?

I am 2 weeks away from my first marathon (The Portsmouth Coastal on the 23rd Dec in the UK) I am a 42 year old female that started running nearly 2 years ago. I ran 4 half marathons this year (3 in the last 3 months as part of my training plan). The training plan was a 20 weeks intermediate one that turn out to be too demanding for me as I got physically exhausted after 12 weeks of training. I took a bit of resting for a week or so and I switched to a beginners training plan more focus on time run than miles run. I am feeling comfortable with the training as it is going and strong but I am worry that my longest run was a 18 miles run and I am not sure if that is enough training or experience to complete the marathon. I am starting the tapering phase now so I will not attempt to run any more long runs. Until now I've been running an average of 30 miles a week. So the question is, will all these help me to finish my first marathon or I am undertrained? Thank you for any comments!

• Lara R Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 9, 2009
    1. Dec 10, 2012 10:09 AM (in response to Hecuba)

I was in the same boat for my first marathon (except I didn't run any halves beforehand). The best advice I recieved from another female runner is that your first marathon will be a PR regardless of your time. She encouraged me to just finish my first. You will see people stop and walk a bit. No big. As long as you cross that line. Take the time that you need, go at your pace, and listen to your body. I hope that you run many more marathons so don't stress yourself out. It's a mental race after about 18 miles anyway. It sounds like you have a good background for your training!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Dec 10, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to Hecuba)

Most 1st timers go to around 20, it's just a number.  Make sure you do not go out to fast walk thru the water stops be sure to take some fuel!    I have run several for my 1st I went to 20 now I just go to 18, it's a mental game after that stay positive!  You will be fine!  Enjoy

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Dec 10, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to Hecuba)

You should be fine to finish.  Just remember to start easy. By that I mean the first 15 niles or so.  My understanding (I've never really checked) is that many plans based on metric distances peak at 30k, only a little farther than you went.  As others said, once you hit 18 - 22, it becomes a mental game. But the less you use at the beginning, by starting easy, the more you'll have left at the end.  Last, as mentioned above, don't be afraid to walk, or even take regular walking breaks.  Your goal is to cross the finish line, preferably standing.  Time is very much secondary.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points