Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5631 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2005 2:15 PM by Guest Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • catrinka008 Rookie 21 posts since
    Nov 20, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 24, 2005 1:16 PM (in response to kevinm057)
    Re: Who can’t run 22 seconds for 100 meters?

quote:

Originally posted by Dancinghomer:

I agree. I saw that picture from the Dallas meet. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I should be able to start a thread too. My topic was a good one...read it for yourself up there.

aw, thanks blush

i say we protest!  hot/cool peeps unite!

• leon2 Rookie 315 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Jun 24, 2005 1:27 PM (in response to kevinm057)

Even one of the moderators thinks that a new forum isn't necessary ...

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:

I don't see why this is necessary. ...

• JimR022 Rookie 984 posts since
    Jan 16, 2002
    17. Jun 24, 2005 1:31 PM (in response to kevinm057)

One has to wonder if putting this right below the clubhouse is a good idea.

I have no clue how fast I can run 100 meters.  I know I finally managed to beat local Bob Glazier in a race this week....I ran 5 miles in a rocket-like 33:24 and he did an embarrassing-slow 33:27.  He's 67 so I think it's time for him to retire from the sport. 

• Currently Being Moderated
    18. Jun 24, 2005 1:43 PM (in response to kevinm057)

My scrotum hurts.

• Currently Being Moderated
    19. Jun 24, 2005 1:45 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Originally posted by Dancinghomer:

I agree. I saw that picture from the Dallas meet. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I should be able to start a thread too. My topic was a good one...read it for yourself up there.

She's looking for a roomie.  $700.00 and possibly a deposit, and she's all yours!

• catrinka008 Rookie 21 posts since
    Nov 20, 2002
    20. Jun 24, 2005 1:58 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Originally posted by Cleofus:
    * She's looking for a roomie. $700.00 and possibly a deposit, and she's all yours!

FU, scrotum-aching butthole!   [IMG]http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif[/IMG]

• Sue in NYC Rookie 89 posts since
    Oct 8, 2000
    21. Jun 25, 2005 8:38 AM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Originally posted by leon2:

It states in the forum description that "Only mods. can post, anyone can reply."  Why is that? And how is this any different than moderators starting a topic in any of the other forums? 

Thanks.

Hey, their server space, their playground.

You don't like it pick up your ball and bat and go home.

• Aruba 1st Amateur 145 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Jun 25, 2005 9:27 AM (in response to kevinm057)

Since I'm a

Rocker

, not a

Mod

I'm probably forbidden from posting here.
    Plus, since my "point of view" regarding the age Vs speed Topic (Point of View is a forum specifically used to capture your opinion on specific topics concerning current events in running.) regards achieving short distance speed as being more important than one's distance running speed (with respect to your longevity/survival - and the survival of others) no matter your age - which is an age-old-concept, rather than a "current event" - my slant on the Topic would (more-than-likely) have been banned.

• leon2 Rookie 315 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Dec 25, 2007 10:29 AM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Originally posted by Sue in NYC:

Hey, their server space, their playground.

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Tortoise:

This forum is dum. Big time dum. Because modubobbers are dummees. Big time dummees.

[http://This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Jun-25-2005).|http://This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Jun-25-2005).]

Oct 8, 2000
    24. Jun 25, 2005 3:56 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

And, once again, Sue lets everyone know what a sour puss she really is.

Oh, bite me, you supercilious snot.

As to the question.

Aging is certainly different now. My grandparents were really old at 50, and didn't even live much beyond that.

As to the six minute mile - not on my best day in my youth.

• zpoint2 Rookie 88 posts since
    Sep 27, 2003
    25. Dec 25, 2007 10:29 AM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Originally posted by kevinm:

Does Kozo's 100-meter time show increased potential for older athletes? Or is it an aberration?

I think we'll see a continued improvement in the performance of senior athletes. This improvement will be at a higher rate than the increase in the performance of elite athletes.

My reasoning is that elite athletes are (usually) in their 20's and 30's. They grew up in a society that encourages healthy living. Senior athletes did not.

As time passes, the percentage of 80-90 year olds, say, that ate healthy and didn't smoke will increase. As a result, we'll see more world records in the senior ranks than the elite ranks.

quote:

Originally posted by kevinm:

Was his time as impressive as Asafa Powell's open world record of 9.77, also recently set?

In my opinion, no. My feeling is that a senior athlete physically cannot train for as many hours or as hard as the younger elites. (Perhaps a senior athlete can get away with 8 hours of training per week, while a youger elite can train for 20 hours.) Thus, the younger athlete "worked harder" to achieve his/her goal, and I put their achievments at a higher level. This is not to say that I don't have a great deal of respect for Kozo's record, I do. But it's not the same.

[http://This message has been edited by zpoint2 (edited Jun-25-2005).|http://This message has been edited by zpoint2 (edited Jun-25-2005).]

Oct 8, 2000
    26. Jun 25, 2005 5:07 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Sue, are you still sore at me for catching you in a lie?

Huh? I don't even know what you're talking about.

You've been following me around for ages, though, pissed at me. I'd get over it.

quote:

Originally posted by zpoint2:

(Perhaps a senior athlete can get away with 8 hours of training per week, while a youger elite can train for 20 hours.) Thus, the younger athlete "worked harder" to achieve his/her goal, and I put their achievments at a higher level.

I don't know that I agree that the younger athlete working out for longer hours worked harder. I'm slow, period, but I work pretty hard (when I'm training) and probably harder than someone my age who is faster and training comparable hours.

I do think, though, that absolute times are more important than age- or effort-adjusted ones.  And my efforts don't deserve a medal.  We're not all winners.  The winner's the winner.  Faster is faster, period.

Sep 27, 2003
    27. Jun 25, 2005 5:13 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

I don't know that I agree that the younger athlete working out for longer hours worked harder.

But as you age, you simply cannot train at the same intensity and for the same number of hours without breaking down. That's my point.

I don't think there are many 80 year olds running 140 mile weeks.

Oct 8, 2000
    28. Jun 25, 2005 5:17 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

Originally posted by zpoint2:

But as you age, you simply cannot train at the same intensity and for the same number of hours without breaking down. That's my point.

I don't think there are many 80 year olds running 140 mile weeks.

I completely agree - but we have to define harder, then.  Someone pushing to the edge of his endurance at 50 miles a week is working as hard as the one who can go to 140.  But it doesn't matter, because the one going 140 is the superior athlete.

Sep 27, 2003
    29. Jun 25, 2005 5:22 PM (in response to kevinm057)

quote:

I completely agree - but we have to define harder, then. Someone pushing to the edge of his endurance at 50 miles a week is working as hard as the one who can go to 140. But it doesn't matter, because the one going 140 is the superior athlete.

I see your point.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...