Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

321 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 12:15 PM by Doug87
Doug87 Rookie 5 posts since
Oct 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2012 12:15 PM

New Englanders: Running 27 miles for the 27 lives lost:

I am from the state of CT. This tragedy hurt especially how close to home it was. In some way you knew someone who lost a loved one. The day of the event I said to myself why not run to honor those lives lost to show our support as runners. Then I heard in the news kid running from Danbury High School to Newtown High School. Got me going this could be done. I am just curious on any runner’s feedback about this. It would be a memorial group run. The goal would be to try and raise money for the agencies that helped out those affected by the tragedy. Not a race or timed. I say the race would be done the weekend before or the weekend after Memorial Day. Was thinking June 1rst since that is when Newtown is doing the Relay for Life. I can’t see the issue not allowing runners to use Dickinson Park in Newtown for four hours, you need a pass. The course would be about 27 miles maybe 27.2 miles. You run in the park from one parking lot to the next, which is .54 miles. On a not so heavy traffic road that is 1.44 miles around the park for 18 times. You run back into the park to the first parking lot you started at to equal just about 27 miles. It would be self-timed. There will be 20 Popsicle sticks each stick will have one or two names of people who passed away in the tragedy. When you cross the finish have to have 20 sticks to say you are done. I believe there are only three other parks in Newtown area that you don’t have to have a permit to park there if the town says no. However, two are in somewhat heavy traffic areas. Could avoid the traffic at one park by actually running through the parking lot where Sandy Hook Elementary Park. If running at Treadwell Park, but can’t see that being allowed.  One may have a race going on that day and the other is in a Nature Center on trails. There may or not be Newtown had their annual 5K Rocking Rooster Run June 16th last year, but could be run the same day. I am just curious on any feedback and would any runners support this idea?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...