Skip navigation

1131 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2012 7:31 AM by SimonB32 RSS
SimonB32 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2012 6:28 PM

Dilemma and New Start?

Ok, so here’s my situation. I am 12 years old. I didn’t make my local town travel team. I am currently playing in a church CYO league. I didn’t try out for the school team.

On my CYO travel team,I play a 3 or 4, mainly 4. I hate playing the 4 because I’m really undersized for my age (5’2 roughly), and my team is pretty small too. I really want to be a 1 or a 2, yet we have some pretty good guards on our team, but I want to prove to my coach that I can play there.

I am getting a membership to the Y for Hanukkah, and I plan on going there to practice. My main sport is baseball, and I have been playing baseball since I was really young. I weight lift at the high school and participate in strength training at a nearby Frozen Ropes. I don’t know if it is because it’s just basketball season or what, but basketball is starting to become really close to baseball as my favorite sport. If I get better at it, I’m considering making it my first priority.

I have started to put together a binder for practice at the Y. So far, all it includes is a list of shooting and dribbling practicing things (for example, 5 shots from left elbow and 3 minutes of crossover dribbling down the court), and a spreadsheet of the shots and the completion percentages per practice. I need help to become a better player and get a better training routine. Can you guys help me become an elite guard? It is really my ball handling and shooting that needs help. I need a routine like shoot 5 jump shots from the baseline, and along those lines.  I am really starting to question baseball and basketball... Always have loved baseball, one of the best ones in my school at it. Basketball?  You know  the story...

• kentuckyfan1 Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    1. Dec 21, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to SimonB32)
    Dilemma and New Start?

I am a 12 yr. old in the 6th grade and is on a basketball team (rec) playing for St. Joseph School in Bardstown, KY. The way I get good is by shooting two's and then shooting three's. Don't forget to stretch! Try doing crossovers and under the legs while walking to the basketball and doing a layup or a jump shot.

Great players don't quit, but losers do- Kentuckyfan1

• TriangleBasketball Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 22, 2012
    2. Dec 22, 2012 9:34 PM (in response to SimonB32)
    Dilemma and New Start?

What is important is learning the fundamentals of basketball first so when you practice your drills you are doing them correctly.  How often do you have basketball lessons?  We work with youth 3 times a week on fundamentals, shooting, ball handling, footwork, etc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...