Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

979 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 9:35 PM by RunDreamAchieve RSS
VeganRican Expert 40 posts since
Dec 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 23, 2012 4:54 PM

Experienced runners please help!

Hi Everyone. I'm coming back to C25k for my 4th attempt. I've NEVER gotten this far before, and I'm super excited!

I'm on week 4, going on day 3 tomorrow. Every since I got to week 4 (which has been the toughest! 5 minutes of running is NO JOKE for me), I started to experience some soreness in my neck. My hubby has made a pretty educated guess, because I couldn't figure out what could be causing it.

He thinks it's muscle soreness from the way I move my arms when I run. It's not like I tense up, because I make a conscience effort to not even make a fist with my hands. I keep trying relax, but my arms are moving more than they were before. I think I'm kinda trying to use my arms to give my some forward energy. Does that make sense??? It's hard to describe without showing you.

Any advice out there???? I'm NOT quitting this time, so PLEASE help!

Thanks!

Tanya

P.S. Any specific stretches I can do???

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Dec 23, 2012 6:35 PM (in response to VeganRican)

You may want to try this: Check your upper body posture as you run. Two common errors are (1) looking down towards the ground and (2) raising and tensing one's shoulders. Either of those will put unwanted stress on your shoulders and neck. Make a conscious effort to look straight ahead when you run and to keep your neck and shoulders relaxed.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Dec 26, 2012 6:21 AM (in response to VeganRican)

Run TALL and strong but relaxed!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Dec 27, 2012 1:53 PM (in response to VeganRican)

Try some tight-fitting, upper body compression gear.  That will aid with circulation and reducing muscle fatigue. 

Wishing you all the best.

• RunDreamAchieve Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 29, 2012
    5. Dec 29, 2012 9:35 PM (in response to Jasko123)

It could simply be the way you are sleeping during the night. Sometimes it is that simple. Is there a posture you usually sit or lay toward during the day. This could be a very temporary thing that will go away in a couple days or week. I wish you the very best with C25K.

www.rundreamachieve.com

coaching services

Personal Bests: 2.19.35

Half-Marathon: 1.07.06

20 Miles: 1.44.05

10 Miles: 50.54

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points