Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2479 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 3:52 PM by Wideguy RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Michelledvm Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 30, 2012 8:40 AM

I miss the old C25K 'check-in' threads :(

I have started C25K several times now, and I'm back again.  This time I'd really like to try to stick with running more long term.  I remember how awesome it was to be able to follow many other people doing C25K, I guess that was on the old coolrunning.com forums before they merged with active.com.   There were check-in threads that TONS of people would post what day they were on, and how the run went.  It helped so much, and I guess I'm just posting because I'm sad they're no longer here.  I transitioned over to dailymile.com a while ago, but it's hard to find other runners that are doing C25K, and it's just not the same.

• MiniBondGirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 31, 2012
    1. Jan 1, 2013 2:16 AM (in response to Michelledvm)

How are you getting on? I've just started it this week.

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    2. Jan 1, 2013 4:12 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I just started this week as well.  I've never been a runner before and have actively DISLIKED running so this is huge for me.  I made the mistake of doing days 1 and 2 back to back and am a hurtin pup. 

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    3. Jan 7, 2013 4:36 PM (in response to janetm67)

I don't know about the old C25K threads, but it took me three times (starting from scratch then quiting) to figure out I really do like running. I hated it at first (because it wasn't easy for me). I couldn't understand why my wife loved to run so much. Now I mostly like it, because I can run almost anywhere. My daughter swims three hours a day for practice, and it's too far away to drive back home, so I run while she swims. I also bike, but it's much easier to just take my running shoes while traveling instead of my bike.

Maybe the new C25K runners will check back into this thread that you created.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4. Jan 9, 2013 9:43 AM (in response to Michelledvm)

Michelle and all, this is great start for the thread you want!! Often folks will start a thread with a title like "Starting C25k on ..., anyone else?" and will draw a bunch together. Keep checking in on each other and you will be surprised how much easier getting your runs done will be when you do. Good luck!!

I completed C25k June 2011 and am still running. Had a crisis of doubt yesterday but posted about it, got a lot of helpful suggestions about how to deal and today am much more optomistic. Someone suggested mentoring newbies and I knew they were right so I checked out your thread. I will look back in on you so feel free to ask questions. 

This stuff is not easy! When folks say the first step is the hardest, they aren't just talking about putting on your shoes and completing the first week. The whole program is a huge challenge and you can celebrate every run because it's a huge accomplishment to actually say, "No, today is not the day I quit." Many folks quit and restart so don't beat yourself up if you have. It happens and sometimes we have no control over it but if you've stopped in the past because the whole program seemed overwhelming, don't even think about finishing the program, you may or you may not finish. Just know that you started it because you want to do it and that means you need to complete your next run. That is all you have to do, just One run.

At some point most people experience a runner's high that boosts them ahead and you can have that if you keep going. My first *high* came sometime during W4 runs but it's different for everyone. I needed to repeat weeks in the beginning of C25k to get the confidence to keep going. The jump to a full three minute run was a huge struggle for me but then I noticed that when I expected myself to run five minutes, three became a lot easier. That's when I realized my mind was my biggest obstacle, my body could do a lot more than my mind thought it could do.

I'm getting too wordy but just wanted to say, there's a huge payoff if you stick with it. You break all those barriers you've been putting up, you learn a lot of good about yourself in the process, lessons that are useful in the rest of your life, and you become amazing. Hang in there!! Everyone has bad runs and they usually come right before really strong fantastic runs, which you will enjoy all the more if you keep at it. Trust the program. It works.  

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• SarahWithAFringeOnTop Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 9, 2013
    5. Jan 9, 2013 11:54 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hello, I'm on week 8 of the C25K but still feel very much like a newbie!  Was really pleased to discover this thread, some of the others sound like real pros!  I have never been a runner and am still trying to get used to the fact that actually I seem to enjoy it...  though the idea of getting out in the cold after a day at work still doesn't have too much appeal.  Fortunately the reality is better than the thought...

I know exactly what you mean about the biggest obstacle being your mind...  I hit a glitch at W5 when one thing after another seemed to defeat me - my phone refused to play the podcast, I caught a hideous feverish cold, there were several days it was really icy under foot...  I thought I would never get past that phase, until I relised it had become a bit of an ogre in my mind and decided that was ridiculous.  Now I've also found (I'm using Robert Ullrey's podcasts) that the week 7 and 8 runs, where you just run with no walking, are actually easier than the week 5 and 6 ones where you still walk on some of the days, as I kept thinking "oh no, day 1 can stop here but I've got to carry on for ages...ugh".  Without that distraction it's much easier just to...run!  So I think I'd definitely agree 9without having got to the end yet) that yes, the programme really does work!

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    6. Jan 9, 2013 12:26 PM (in response to SarahWithAFringeOnTop)

I'm officially now on week two although I have to confess to having skipped ahead to the week three workouts because week two seemed too easy for me.  The three minute runs of this week are definitely testing my endurance and its kind of a thrill to be able to complete them.  I have the C25K app on my phone and am using the trainer Sargent Block to tell me when to run and walk and he's kind of amusing to listen to:-)  I will say though that looking at my pace which this app does somewhere along the line I'm going to have to pickup the pace or there's no way I'd be doing 5 K in thirty minutes.  However I have eight more weeks of the nine week program so hopefully I'll get there. 

Jun 8, 2011
    7. Jan 10, 2013 8:49 AM (in response to janetm67)

Sarah, Congrats on getting past W5, D3!!! It's the hardest part of the program, IMHO. The second hardest for me was going from 3 min. runs to 5 min. runs (W4?). That definitely took me more than a week!!

Janet and all, very few people can actually complete a 5k in 30 min. after they've completed the program. Having that expectation is an unfortunate consequence of the name but it's unrealistic for most folks. You will be ABLE to run a 5k though, when you've finished and your pace is your pace. Completing the program is a huge accomplishment so don't sweat how fast you are running. I ran 6 HMs this year (2012) and still can't run a 5k in 30 min. but it's on my list of goals for the year.

I am not a spokesperson for C25k and in fact I coach a different kind of beginners program locally but I did C25k and it was perfect for me. The program starts you on a journey to building a good running base at hopefully a healthy aerobic pace. Your body will benefit more if you run at a comfortable pace than if you push yourself to meet the expectation of running a certain distance within the time period. If you look over the threads from folks who have finished you'll find a lot have chosen to redo C25k after finishing it, starting around W3 or W4, so that they can run it for distance. I tried that but the pace was too fast for me. It did give me the tools to build on for racing, though. I graduated in July 2011 and ran about 10 5ks before December. I was on a mission to finish one without walking and finially did in October, at a 15 mm pace. I was 62 so you all can do that and beat it easily.

Run strong and enjoy!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Jan 9, 2013
    8. Jan 10, 2013 12:44 PM (in response to mkayc)

Thanks mkayc, that's really good to know.  I had also wondered how I was going to manage 5K because I reckon I'm running about 3.6K atm in 28 minutes (guesstimate based on drawing my path on to google Earth so not very accurate!)  It's encouraging to know I would be able to manage 5K though - I had wondered about working out a 5K route and just running it, once I get to that point and seeing how long it takes.  Would that be a good idea?  I might repeat weeks 8 and 9 a couple of times first though!  I don't really mind if I'm slow, but I would like to be able to do the odd 5K run, even if I'm at the back of the field!

Jun 8, 2011
    9. Jan 12, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to SarahWithAFringeOnTop)

Sarah, running a 5k route sounds like a great idea when you think you're ready! As you near the end of the program, what you do next is all up to you. Definitely plan your journey!! Listen to your body. It will tell you what you can do and check back in with any other questions. These threads are full of helpful wisdom.

Strong runs, all!!

Mary Kay

• jsilvius Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 15, 2012
    10. Jan 24, 2013 1:19 PM (in response to Michelledvm)

C25K Checkin

I started on 1/21. I've run Wk1D1 and Wk1D2

I increased my distance 0.13 miles and increased my pace from 16:04 to 14:36 from day 1 to day 2

I'm super excited for Day 3.

I'm getting lots of encouragement from my family.

I'm 300+ lbs and pushing 40 (October). I'm running for my life. I'm runing to get health, lose weight, lower my BP and reduce my risk of type 2 diabetes.

Started Running C25K: 1/21/2013

First 5k Schduled for: 4/20/2013

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jan 25, 2013 3:15 PM (in response to Michelledvm)

Hi, I'm Maria I'm 45 and started running using this forum, I haven't ran for some time so I hope to start back this week

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Feb 5, 2013 11:08 AM (in response to Michelledvm)

I did w2 D1 today.

Jan 9, 2013
    13. Feb 9, 2013 3:27 AM (in response to Michelledvm)

Well done flamomof4!  I have made it to the end of W9 (much to my surprise) and have since done a couple more runs still using the W9 podcast - I really need to get around to making my own playlists!  Yesterday I managed 3 miles in about 32 minutes.  I can't beleive I can actually run 3 miles - I have never been a runner!

I would definitely say to anyone startingt eh C25K and not sure if they can manage it that it really does work and eases you into running the distance.  You really can do it!

• Rlcarson1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2013

Wow Sarah. Very impressive! I'm in week 7. Completing week 7 tomorrow! I'm still having a tremendous amount of tiredness in my legs during my runs... Any suggestions?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...