Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21508 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • Cisco48 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Apr 10, 2013 8:39 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)
    Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

Just finished W7D3 yesterday....at times I have felt great and like I could do more than what the program coached me to do and then there have been times where my legs feel like lead and I keep looking at the time left as I wonder if I can make it through the day's session.  Yesterday was one of the lead days....but I pushed through.  I'm jogging 25 straight minutes!!!  Not fast mind you....but 7 weeks ago I would have never thought I would ever be able to run for 25 straight mins!!!  All this to say.....be proud of your effort....starting this journey is a big step!  Keep with it! Back when I first started C25K, I also registered for my first ever 5k.....The Color Me Rad Run in Mobile, AL on April 20.....so looking forward to reaching this huge milestone in my life next week!!! Good luck to you all!

• jcyboron Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 28, 2013
    91. Apr 16, 2013 1:19 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I FINISHED!!!  And it WORKS!  Stick with it guys!  I was amazed that I was running (slowly) for 30 minutes without stopping, I didn't think my body could do that!

I finished the C25k program on April 7th!  Then I went to Phoenix for a week... I had the best of intentions, packed my running shoes and clothes but failed... I did ZERO exercise while I was gone.  Well we walked around A LOT but nothing to get my heart rate up

So I got back to COLD Nebraska on Saturday and finally got back to the gym this morning (toning class).  Tomorrow I will run again.  I was hoping to be outside by now but this winter just will NOT go away!  Chance of snow tomorrow night!

So, I may just scan back through my program and choose something with walking intervals to get back into this, hopefully I haven't ruined everything I've worked for by being stupid for a week.

My First 5k is May 25th

Second 5k is July 20th

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    92. Apr 16, 2013 1:49 PM (in response to jcyboron)

Don't worry, you didn't lose it all in a week. If you're unsure, start with a run/walk workout - anything from 5/1 to 9/1. It shouldn't take more than a couple runs to get back in the swing of things.

Len

• PeterME Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    93. Apr 18, 2013 2:27 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I had made it up to the end of week 4 when circumstances conspired to keep me from running for about a week.  Started up again with Week 5 day 1 and made it through.  I can't imagine if you had finished the program you'll be any worse off picking up again after  a week long break

• Cisco48 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 5, 2013
    94. Apr 24, 2013 7:59 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Completed C25K and participated in my first 2 running events last week.....the first was a "mini-marathon" on Wed 2.62 miles in honor of those affected by the Boston Marathon bombing and my first official 5K on Sat, "Color Me Rad 5K"!!!!  I'm proud to say that I was able to run the entire distance for both events and I owe it all to C25K!!!!  I've never been a runner before and would've never believed I could run 3 miles straight.....but I did it!!!  I'm sooo glad that I stuck with C25K.....it wasn't easy and there were some days that were harder than the others but I pushed through it!  I've lost weight, sleep better and overall feel so much better than I did 5 months ago. If I can do it.....so can you!!!  Thank you C25K for changing my life!!!!  I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors!!! 

I'm so glad I selected the Color Me Rad 5K for my first 5K.  It was a ton of fun and there were people of all ages and nationalities....some walking, some running.  It was not a "timed" event so there was no pressure.  My goal was to run the entire course and there was so much activity going on throughout the course that it went by sooo quickly.  I was actually surprised when I saw the finish line in front of me.  If you're considering registering for your first 5K, I highly recommend this one.....it gives you such a great feeling of accomplishment after all your hard work during C25K training!!!  Good luck!!

color me rad.jpg

• LrningToRun Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 23, 2013
    95. May 2, 2013 9:50 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Well I finished the program and felt so accomplished.   I had to take 1.5 off due to sickness and man was my first run hard!  I only made it about 10 minutes before I had to walk some.  I'm hoping to get back to running 30 minutes by the end of next week.  I'd hate to think all that hard wark is back to zero.

• MarkEichenlaub Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    96. May 29, 2013 1:13 PM (in response to forbye)

How is your training coming along?

Blogging about motivation, injury prevention and training lessons I've learned at TeachtoRun.com and working on "The Ultimate 5k Plan" at HowtoRun5k.com.

• JustGlori Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2013
    97. Jun 3, 2013 5:59 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I COMPLETED C25k LAST WEEKEND!! I was forced to take a week off from any exercise due to being sick though. One thing I will say, that I haven't really seen mentioned so I don't know if I'm the only one, is that I'm not technically running a distance of 5k. I'm just able to run for 30 mins straight.. at a pace of 16:10 mpm... you do the math.

This, of course, doesn't bother me in the slightest. When I first started the program, I struggled to complete the 60 second run. 3 months later (I repeated weeks) I'm running 30 minutes straight! I can't even begin to explain the feeling of accomplishment it gives you. Well, you guys know .

My plan from this point forward is to run 30 mins, 3 days a week, and continue adding 2-3 mins to the total time every week.

Since it's gotten warm out, I've noticed that weather makes a massive difference in my runs. Saturday, it was hot and muggy out. I struggled, I mean STRUGGLED to get to 30 mins, and according to my app (MapMyRun), I scarcely completed a mile.. IN 30 MINUTES! Took yesterday off. This morning it was pouring out. For the first time ever, I completed 2 miles (a little over 32 mins) and I did it easily, and comfortably. Like, I was shocked when the little voice came over my ear buds saying 'total distance 1 mile' and I was barely breathing heavy and I still felt fresh, not tired at all!! This is HUGE for me! I ran the 2nd mile the same way.. not out of breath, comfortable, enjoying myself.. I was SMILING

Needless to say, I continue to be excited about running and I'm SO grateful for C25k. I had never ran a single mile nonstop in my life, and now here I am, at 34, running 2 miles comfortably. I'm not signing up for races or anything like that yet because I don't want to put undue pressure on myself. I want to run because I'm enjoying it. Not because I have a deadline (that's just what works for me). I have more of a weight loss goal to reach rather than a distance or race goal. And so far, I've lost 50 lbs.

For those just starting out, DO NOT GIVE UP. Repeat weeks if you have to, or take a few days off even (I did both), but please keep going. I'm living proof that this program really works, you just have to keep going. And pace yourselves! Don't take off at full speed because you'll wear yourself out. Work on endurance first, worry about speed later. And allow yourselves recovery time, even if you don't think you need it. Trust me, for 3 weeks straight I tried running 6 days a week instead of 3, and all I did was give myself fatigue. I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day and I still felt exhausted all the time. I realized it was because 1. my diet (I had completely cut out all carbs), and 2. I wasn't giving my body a chance to recover. So, I introduced complex carbs into my diet, and I went back to running 3 days a week. No fatigue and I continue to drop the pounds.

Good luck guys and KEEP GOING!!

C25k Graduate - 5/25/13

• JustGlori Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 16, 2013
    98. Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I should probably add that on my off days I either walk or do yoga. The only day I take off from all exercise is Sunday.

C25k Graduate - 5/25/13

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...