Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22782 Views 98 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 6:06 PM by JustGlori 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
MiniBondGirl Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2013 2:27 AM

Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I did my first one yesterday and it would be good to chat / moan / encourage with people at a similar stage....

S

• kimberm71 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 4, 2010
    1. Jan 1, 2013 9:26 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I am.  I did W1D1 earlier in the week and am heading to the gym soon for day 2. I've done the program before and it's great! I've fallen out of running in the last year and am doing the program again to get back in the swing of things. 

Have you signed up for any races yet? I'm signed up for a shamrock shuffle in late March/Early April.  Signing up for a race helps with motivation :-D

• Aspen8 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    2. Jan 1, 2013 10:00 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Hi there. I'm starting later today.  I'm almost 48, only 5'3" and over 200 pounds, have a fibromyalgia diagnosis, and I have ZERO cardiovascular endurance.  So NATURALLY I've decided I want to be a runner. Lol.  I signed up to WALK a 5K on the 5 year anniversary of my smoking quit date two years ago.  A 4-year old beat me.  I'm not kidding.  (Well...okay...I stopped along the way a couple times to take photos but still....)  I said that the following year - last year - I'd "run" it, and by "running" I mean "jog so slowly a fast walker could pass me."  But I didn't do it.  I kept putting off training for it. 

The reason I kept putting it off was that I actually tried a 5K program once before....I was determined to "run" a 5K on the one year anniversary of my smoking quit date.  I measured 3.1 miles on the streets near my house and followed a different beginning running program to get me ready.  I started so late that I didn't have time to repeat any weeks or do anything other than exactly what the program called for on any given day.  And even then, the first time I'd actually "run" 3.1 miles nonstop would be my 1 year anniversary.  I did it.  And it was AWFUL.  I  hated it.  I never "ran" again after that.

I think a big part of the problem was that the program called for running every day - 6 out of 7 days a week.  I never, ever felt like my body recovered.  Maybe it was the fibromyalgia...I don't know.  But my legs felt worse as the program wore on, not better.  I never, ever, ever - not once - looked forward to a workout after the first one. I just dragged my *** through it so I could say I didn't give up.  But it was a miserable experience.  Another part of the problem may have been that I was drastically reducing caloric intake at the time in order to try to take off some of the quitting smoking pounds.  And a third part of the problem was probably simply that I was so deconditioned in all ways that it was simply too ambitious for me. 

But here I am to try again.  The 5K I've walked the last two years is on 4/20.  I have 16 weeks to get ready, so there's time for me to repeat weeks if I don't feel ready to move on.  The 3x a week plan will allow my legs to recover between workouts.  I can walk on the other days if I want.  This time I'm not starting literally from my couch.  I've been walking for 30 minutes at a time.  And this time, I don't intend to drastically restrict calories.  I'm just going to work on gradually "cleaning up" my diet.  If I lose weight, great.  But that's not my main goal or focus this time.  I just want to get healthier and feel better. 

It would be great if there were others just starting now so we can provide support for one another. 

• Reen34 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    3. Jan 1, 2013 2:22 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I started W1D1 this evening and I've got to say it was much tougher than I expected. I was really excited about it and was/am determined to introduce exercise as a positive way of life for my little girl (just a baby now, so once she's old enough!)

I haven't run or jogged since school, so this is a bit of a shock to the system.

I hear it gets easier though, so hang in there. I'm just a little disappointed that I didn't enjoy myself :( lets see if things improve with each session x

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    4. Jan 1, 2013 3:57 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I actually started Saturday and my next workout will be W1D3.  I have never in my life been a runner and I'm in my mid 40's so this is huge for me.  My goal will be to run a 5K by April since I'm afraid of committing to something in March:-(

• jard3031 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 20, 2009
    5. Jan 2, 2013 1:38 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I started (again) yesterday as well. I've done the C25K program before with great success. My problem is sticking with running for the long term, due to injuries, life, or just plain laziness. I've signed up for a race in late March and hope to be able to run all of it. We shall see. And it DOES get easier, I promise! Just remember that you can go at your own pace! Jog really slowly if you need to. Just get out there!

Jenn

• reachteresa Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    6. Jan 2, 2013 3:36 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)
    Re: Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

I'm actually on week 8 and today was day 2 but I couldn;t find a thread for me so I am here.  Hope that's ok.  I startd the program at week 4 and it all went really well but this week has been tough.  I don;t know if it's because I am on the master cleanse and today is day 9 or if it's just because it is tough.  I am still getting alot of calories on the cleanse so don;t really see how it can be that.  For me running has always been really boring which has kept me from it, but I always liked the idea of running so now I am doing the c25k.

I run at the gym on the treadmill and start with an incline of 5 and speed of 5 but after about 5 minutes go down to incline 4 and speed 4.  I change up the speed and incline for about 15 minutes.  Today I even got up to 5.5 incline for a few minutes. but then I also went down to 3.5 incline and 3.5 speed for a while but still running just slooooow.

Anyway, almost done with the program and that's good but feeling not as satisfied as weeks past.  Not sure when I'm going to finish the cleanse so won't know until then how much it is affecting the program.

For all of you having problems, take the advice I took  from many other beginner threads on c25k, slow down, even if you feel you are going to slow, it's ok, as long as you a still going.  oh ... and a really good playlist is extremely helpful.

Mar 29, 2011
    7. Jan 2, 2013 7:41 PM (in response to Aspen8)

Hi everyone!  We didn't get home in time from our family New Years celebration to start yesterday so I did today instead.  I think I'm going to be the one that makes everyone feel better about themselves.  Lol.  I didn't love it.  I'm really glad I did it and am definitely going to keep at it.  But I didn't love it.  It was a real reality check about how deconditioned I am, especially from a cardiovascular standpoint.  I was practically wheezing and I don't have asthma.  Totally embarrassing.  I was dying anytime someone ran/jogged/rode past me on the trail.  If I'd passed me, I'd have thought to myself, "Darn....maybe she should stop that.  I hope she doesn't have a heart attack."  And a really fit, fast walker could have passed me while I was jogging.  But what the heck?  It is what it is, right?  At least I did it. 

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    8. Jan 3, 2013 7:24 AM (in response to Aspen8)
    Re: Anyone else starting out 2013 with C25K?

Today was W1D3 for me.  The first two days were flat courses today I ran on a hill and I was DYING totally different than running on flat ground.  I made it through the running sections without stopping but running up hills when you're out of shape was killer for me.  Makes me wonder if I'm REALLY going to manage 30 minutes in another eight weeks.

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    9. Jan 3, 2013 6:39 PM (in response to Aspen8)

Aspen8, I am not even to the point of interspersing runs with walks yet.  I have done C25K a couple of times in the past (both during warm weather, mostly on a treadmill).  And each time, looking back, I suspect that I tried to go to fast, too soon.  There's a lot to be said -- particularly as you get a bit older -- for the importance of enough recovery time, and of conditioning your body to be ready even to start run-walking.

This time I'm outdoors, and I am walking, first, because my daughter asked me to walk with her.  Yay!  I think that she would like to try running, and went out too fast, too -- she told me she has "quit running" but talks like she would like to give it a try.  So we're fast-walking.  And because I've only been out on the dreadmill, our first walk I was feeling like I was out of shape. 

It does get better, and I think being out there is a lot better than NOT doing anything.  And although I don't know that we have to totally find joy in each and every session, I do think we should remember that when it says to adjust and take time enough to do the program at a pace that works for you, that means, even before starting the "program" per se, you can spend some time so that the walking feels easy and then, yes, we SHOULD enjoy it as each progression feels hard at first, and then becomes easy. 

I wanna be a runner for many years, so really, slowing way down for a few months, that's nothing!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

Mar 29, 2011
    10. Jan 3, 2013 7:48 PM (in response to BowieLinda)

BowieLinda, thanks for the encouragement.  I appreciate it.  I'm okay with the walking part, thank goodness.  It just amazes me how fast my breathing deteriorates when I start jogging.  I'm definitely planning to repeat weeks as needed this time around, including THIS week - week 1.  How wonderful that you and your daughter are walking together! 

Mar 29, 2011
    11. Jan 3, 2013 7:56 PM (in response to janetm67)

Janetm67 - Wow.  You tried hills?  I'm sticking to pancake flat for now!  And I STILL wonder if I'll be ready to jog 3.1 miles without stopping by April 20th.  OR....just as important....if I can do it without making such bad breathing sounds that my fellow participants call for an ambulance.  Lol.  I'm figuring that April 20th is going to get here regardless of what I do in the meantime and I can either spend those weeks sitting on my couch getting even more deconditioned and weak and fat or I can go out, do this, and see where I end up on April 30th, right?  At least that little bratty four year old wearing her pink jacket and skipping next to her daddy won't beat me this year.  I'll kick her TUSH this year! 

• reachteresa Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    12. Jan 4, 2013 9:23 AM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

Very down in the dumps today.....

I have been doing th C25K and am on Week 8 Day 3.  This week has been much more challenging than the past.  I am getting a stitch in my side which I didn't get before.  Today I even went so slow, I'm talking 3.5 speed on the treadmill slow and it only got worse to the point I stopped and walked the rest of the time until my 28 minutes were up.

I also am losing interest in running, which is always what happens so need some inspiration.  Today was a giant dud.  My headphones didn't work so I had no music at all, which may be why I noticed my side so much, there was nothing to distract me from it.  Walking didn't help my psyche any either.

Thinking I'll go re-do todays session tomorrow with music and see how it goes.

Any inspiration is appreciated.

• Reen34 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    13. Jan 5, 2013 2:12 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I posted on Tuesday which was W1D1 for me and was quite disheartened by how hard I had found it and how much I really didn't enjoy jogging! I have however kept with it and just completed W1D3 this evening and can gladly say that I notice a change already. I am still very much like 'Aspen8' description of wheezing, embarrassment whenever I jog, but now notice that by the time I want to give up on the jog part the trainer says to start walking. For me the ability to do the 1 minute jog is progress and definitely a motivator.

Oh and to 'reachteresa' week 8 day 3, come on that's some achievement already! You're at a stage most of us newbies can only dream of getting to at the moment, well done but don't give up you're inspiring others that the program is achievable, not to mention the great benefits to yourself. Hope your next session is much better x

• Melissa2013 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 5, 2013
    14. Jan 5, 2013 4:03 PM (in response to MiniBondGirl)

I'm a little late starting but I did my first C25K this morning. I am very out of shape but I did alright. The jogging sections were brutal especially towards the end. I live in neighborhood with lots of hills so I didn't have much of a choice about that. I just tried to go slow. I am very determined to make this work.

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...