Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13872 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 10:00 AM by biibibi RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Skywalker88 Pro 70 posts since
Apr 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2013 10:42 PM

Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi all!

I hope that you are having a comfortable and wonderful new year. Is any one else in here hoping to drop a few pounds? A few years back, there was a weight loss buddies thread, and I hoped it helped keep some people accountable. I know, it did for me!

I welcome anyone to share their weight loss goals here, and to check in as often as you would like. Currently, I am sitting at 160, which is 16 up from my last weight loss jaunt. However, I would like to get down to 140. I would like to accomplish this over the next three months.

So... that's me! I hope to hear from you all soon!

Warm Wishes

9/6/2010-170 10/17/2010 -162 10/24/2010-158.75 10/28/2010-156 11/7/10-155 11/21/10-154.5 11/24/10 152.75 11/28/10-151 12/5/10 -151.5 12/11/10- 148 1/16/11-148 1/23/11-146.5 1/30/11- 145 2/20/11-144.5 1.1.13-163

Lost so far: 25.5 lbs

• janetm67 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 1, 2013
    1. Jan 2, 2013 10:08 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Count me in.  I knew a few pounds had crept on over the past few years but didn't realize how many until I had a physical for the first time in five years and found that I'd gained 17 pounds in the past six years-eeek.  I'm on a mission to roll back the clock six years.  I am 5'7 (also found out I've shrunk an inch:-(), currently 148 and my goal is 137.  I've started exercising (started the couch 2 5k over the weekend) and have lost six pounds since the end of November.  Last week I lost nothing which made me unhappy.  Dieting my rear off (avid calorie counter) and hoping to see the scale budge next week. 

Best

• Anij34 Amateur 41 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    2. Jan 4, 2013 6:25 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I have much more weight to lose than you two which means I need even more motivation!  I'm a wee bit over 200lbs and need to be in the 130's.  I look forward to the inspiration!

• SilverDaisy Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 25, 2012
    3. Jan 4, 2013 7:10 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I have alot of wieght to lose as well, I am about 188 and wish to be back to 138...I need lots of inspiration! I've been exercising sporatically, this week I've been more consistant. Just hoping to see that scale start budging soon.

• KimberlySmith217 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    4. Jan 4, 2013 9:23 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

At my heaviest, I was close to 220, which for a 5'4" woman with small bone structure is too much.  Life, work, etc. had the pounds climb on when I hit 40.  I lost a lot of weight in 2010 and began 2011 at 163 with a goal of 140.  During 2011 & 2012, I've run 4 half-marathons and a bunch of 10K's.  I've had recurring injuries in both years that kept me out of 2 additional half-marathons.  After each injury, I've gained weight during recovery even when I watch what & how much I eat.  The last injury in October & the following holiday season just seemed to fuel the cycle even more & I got really lazy about watching what I eat.  I'm currently at 183 & committed to losing the 20 lbs. that crept back on and then targeting the remaining 23 pounds to reach my goal, while also getting back on track with eating healthier and returning to training.  I turn 50 in Feb. and my goal in 2013 is to complete my first full marathon before year end; I can't do that at this weight without continuing to injure myself. 

I've got a training plan, short term & long term, and I've started putting it into play beginning with easing back into running this week and committing to my 1st 1/2 of the year in late spring.  I'm adding what was missing - yoga & cross-training - for better flexibility & strength to help avoid the recurring injury cycle.  (Just committed to a month of yoga classes twice a week beginning next week.)  And I'm back to writing down everything I eat and tracking calories.  I'm trying to make this about becoming healthier and returning to a lifestyle that I want to maintain, rather than just a number on the scale.

But even with everything I've already put into place & the plans going forward, having some support outside myself (or my husband, which could be a bad idea) would be really great. 

• MarkDeNio Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 29, 2011
    5. Jan 4, 2013 10:21 AM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Re: Weight Loss Buddies III

Add me in.  I'm currently at 395 and need to be down to 220 or so.  I have been down as far as 378 recently but quickly gained back a bunch.  My highest was 420 at the end of April 2012 so I have lost some already, it's just really hard to kick old habits.

Been walking a lot, both in groups and at races.  Did a 20+ 5k walks in 2011 and upped the race count to 30+ in 2012.  I have done 3 10k walks and 1 15k.  Currently trying to train for a 10-miler on January 13th, 9 days from now.  I set a goal to walk (or run-walk) 4 half-marathons this year and have registered for the first one in May.

Looked into Weight Watchers and such but it's not for me right now.  I like the social aspect but there are no good locations and meeting times near me.  I could do online but for something like that I like the in-person aspects.  (I know this is online but in my mind it's different.)

So, here's hoping a more active group of people can help me keep moving.  I know I feel much better when I move.

Thanks,

Mark

Wilmington, DE

Message was edited by: Mark DeNio

• mel.rn Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 11, 2011
    6. Jan 4, 2013 1:07 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Count me in, too!  I'm 48, a nurse and a new empty-nester.  I had lost about 30 lbs last year and I'm sad to say about 15 have crept back on...  I would like to take them off over the next 2-3 months.  I run 2 miles 3 x week. I used myfitnesspal.com I'm the past with great results but I'd love to have weight loss buddies who are in the same boat.

Melissa

Connecticut

• pax4him Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2012
    7. Jan 4, 2013 2:10 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I would really love to connect with some other lots to lose but love to be active folks.  Starting at 205 need to get down to 145.

Nancy

PA

• 11Michele11 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    8. Jan 4, 2013 6:01 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I was 250 pounds at my highest, I am currently about 145, I was 128 at my lowest.  I did it all wrong.  I became anorexic and obbsessed.  I did however, find running and the gym, they are my new loves.  I am much better with my eating, but amalso very scared to gain anymore.  I want to get back down to 133ish and I also want to run my first half marathon, I have run a couple of 5k's.  I need accountability to stay healthy but I want to lose those 15 pounds and I want to  do this by April

• Melissa2013 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 5, 2013
    10. Jan 5, 2013 2:03 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I would love to meet others as well. It's always easier to lose with support. I lost almost 40lbs last year but have put back on almost 15. I decided to do something before I ended up gaining it all back. I started the C25k today. It was rough but I did it and I feel great.

1. My goal - lose between 30-40lbs

2. My motivation - I will  be 42 in March. I want to feel good about myself and enjoy life.

3. Keeping myself acountable - Posting here is a start right

Melissa

• rb77 Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 20, 2010
    11. Jan 5, 2013 7:09 PM (in response to Melissa2013)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I'm in, although I don't go online very much. It's been about 4-5 weeks since I logged on here. I'll try and log in as often as I can.

The good news (for me) is I'm 20 lbs lighter than last January. The bad news is I gained my normal 7-8 lbs over the holiday season.

I'd like to lose at least 20 lbs by April and possibly 30 by Memorial day. After my first (ever) "race" (5 miles) on Thanksgiving, I've only run about 5-7 times since then.

I did get back into heavy weightlifting these last five weeks, which was fun. Now I need to get serious and get lean. Makes no sense to lift heavy, and have the muscle covered by fat.

I just weighed in at 195. I could tell that would be about the right weight by the way my clothes feel right now.

• jeb6294 Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    12. Jan 5, 2013 9:02 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Oh alright, what the heck.  I don't have a set amount I'd like to lose...I would be thrilled to be at 195 but that is still probably 80 or so pounds away.  I've always been a big guy and also like going to the gym and throwing the weights around so I don't have any illusions of ever being "slim" and don't know that I would even want to be.  I enjoy being called upon in emergencies like when that jar of pickles is being stubborn.  A couple years ago, in order to meet medical requirements to deploy as a DOD civilian to Afghanistan, I lost about 60 pounds in a couple months doing Atkins and cutting out the weights and just doing the elliptical every evening.  When I came back over for my second stint I was just about exactly the same weight I was the last time so the good news was that I hadn't put it all back on the bad news is I seem to be stuck here.  Now that I am back overseas I don't have a home life so I am able to go to the gym regularly and run in the mornings before work.  I finished C25K about a month ago and am now running about 2 miles in the mornings before work 6 days a week, although I felt good enough this morning that I may start making run #6 a little longer.

• Time_2_Run Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 10, 2012
    13. Jan 7, 2013 12:07 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

I'm in!  I am committed to running my first marathon in 2013 (I ran my first half last year) and losing some weight (20 pounds).  My long story short - I lost over 50 pounds almost 10 years ago and have managed to keep it off - not counting the 5 or 7 pounds here or there that come and go.  However, I also just quit smoking (Oct 1) so I'm focusing now on losing the 14 pounds I've gained since then and becoming a more efficient runner so I can get this marathon under my belt.  I love the stories, inspiration and dedication I find here... and hope to be able to provide something of value to someone else.  After my busy season at work ended 12/31, I kicked it up again Jan 2.  Ran 9 miles last week (3 days of 3 mile runs) and started this week with a 4 mile run and will do p90x yoga tonight after work.  I'm struggling with training plans, cross training days and because I'm a bit OCD - taking a day "off."  I lose weight via atkins so fueling will become an issue as my milage increases.  I'm hoping that the 14 pounds are gone before that happens, which will make me feel better about incorporating some "real" carbs into my diet (as opposed to the ones from ranch dressing and michelobe ultra).  Anyone else running their first full this year, scared of carbs, or obsessive over your training schedule?

• Deborah Stauber Kessler Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2012
    14. Jan 9, 2013 9:23 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Weight Loss Buddies III

Hi Everyone.  I'd like to join in.  Maybe this will help me stay focused.  I am currently at 158 and would like to be at 135.  I was down to 143 last March after being with a personal trainer for 5 months.  Having the trainer was wonderful and it kept me from waking up and saying, "I'm not going to the gym today" because I knew how much it was costing.  I can't afford one at this time so I'm am trying to get it in my head to start running and possibly run a half marathon in June while my husband runs the full marathon.  I would like to run a few 5K's before that.  I've never been a runner so the thought scares me to death but I am going to give it a go.  Good luck everyone

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...