Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11739 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2007 7:32 PM by Arrojo070 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Previous Next
  • makeda023 Rookie 629 posts since
    Aug 16, 1999
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 8, 2007 12:19 PM (in response to moroccangirl)
    Re: milk anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by Fionn mac Cumhail:

Having tasted mother's milk since an adult, I can say that it's nothing like mango...

LOL!!!! I hate the taste of milk, and I loved that line in the clip, so it had me thinking, DAMN, does milk taste that good? !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

caribou -- thanks for your response!!!

• caribougrrl008 Rookie 122 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    31. Dec 25, 2007 1:59 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

Originally posted by Fionn mac Cumhail:

In the wild, animals are weaned when they can be...

more accurately, when the cost to the mother is greater than the benefit to the neonate...

I suspect we mostly do the same thing, even in contemporary first world society. There's just a helluva lot of variation among humans in how the costs are weighted.

[http://This message has been edited by caribougrrl (edited Dec-08-2007).|http://This message has been edited by caribougrrl (edited Dec-08-2007).]

• moppet Rookie 118 posts since
    Sep 25, 2007
    32. Dec 8, 2007 12:54 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

I personally think that if you are old enough to ask for it, you are too old.

• BonitaApplebum Rookie 298 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    33. Dec 8, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

Old enough to drink from a cup means you have to wean? My 5 month old  can drink from a sippy cup.

Old enough to ask for it? My daughter asked for it by the time she was a few months old. If I say "do you want to nurse?" she will let me know yes by bobbing her head at my breast. My older daughter started signing around 8 months, and one of her first signs was, naturally, a request to nurse. Yeah, breastmilk. It's what babies eat.

Before people make ridiculous assertations about breastfeeding, maybe they ought to learn a little about human development.

I'm not personally interested in BFing an eight year old, that's pretty extreme by even the most dedicated La Leche League standards. But the fact that so many people are repulsed by breastfeeding blows my mind.

Babies need to nurse minimally until they are a year old. The World Health Organization recommends two.

Do what you want with your own kids, but try not to act like feeding a child the way nature intended is gross.

:: Bonita

• corrade Rookie 31 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    34. Dec 8, 2007 1:15 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

This mother needs to be weaned from the girls.  Much past 3 the child doesn't benefit as it did when developing, and past 5 or six?  This is totally about mom needing to be needed, what a joke.

• BonitaApplebum Rookie 298 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    35. Dec 8, 2007 1:23 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

All the horror and outrage in this thread is probably because breasts have been so sexualized in our society.

If there was an eight year old kid that was still being spoonfed by her mom, people would shake their heads and say that they need to get a life, but they wouldn't be beside themselves over it. But when you are talking about breasts, it's totally gross.

Because, after all, breasts are meant for people to look at!

• jek302 Rookie 48 posts since
    Sep 6, 2003
    36. Dec 8, 2007 1:28 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Tortoise:

Yea, I guess we should get out and be more "natural." We should get in touch with our inner ape-baby and suckle our young until prom night, and maybe we could ditch the whole potty training gig and just let them sh!t in the woods.

But, then again, we could realize that this issue of breast feeding past two and three is not about what's physically healthy or socially acceptable. It's about creating an emotionally insecure child. It's about mothers becoming smothers and not knowing that there are stages of emotional and psychological development that need to be respected.

So breast feeling a four or five-year old might make some romaticise about how lovely such affection for a child can be, but some of us realize the mother is fuked up and creating an anxiously attached child who's going to have a difficult time forming stable and functioning relationships in the future.

So, what's your bright line age cutoff before the mother is "fuked up and creating an anxiously attached child who's going to have a difficult time forming stable and functioning relationships in the future"?

My understanding is that attachment disorders more generally arise from neglect, separation, isolation, trauma, etc. Your pop psycho-analysis seems quite flawed to me.

Please also note that I only commented on our culture's very recent and very pervasive notion that children should not be breastfed beyond infancy. It's an attitude I find is frequently rooted in what's familiar, rather than what is physically and emotionally healthiest.

In no way did I suggest that mothers should be more "natural" or "get in touch with their inner ape-baby," or whatever lame pejorative you want to use.

• gebuh Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Dec 8, 2007 1:35 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

I think this repulsion stems from the sexualization of boobies.
    We forget they're for feeding kids- not feeling up.

quote:

Originally posted by BonitaApplebum:

Old enough to drink from a cup means you have to wean? My 5 month old can drink from a sippy cup.

Old enough to ask for it? My daughter asked for it by the time she was a few months old. If I say "do you want to nurse?" she will let me know yes by bobbing her head at my breast. My older daughter started signing around 8 months, and one of her first signs was, naturally, a request to nurse. Yeah, breastmilk. It's what babies eat.

Before people make ridiculous assertations about breastfeeding, maybe they ought to learn a little about human development.

I'm not personally interested in BFing an eight year old, that's pretty extreme by even the most dedicated La Leche League standards. But the fact that so many people are repulsed by breastfeeding blows my mind.

Babies need to nurse minimally until they are a year old. The World Health Organization recommends two.

Do what you want with your own kids, but try not to act like feeding a child the way nature intended is gross.

• caribougrrl008 Rookie 122 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    38. Dec 8, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

Originally posted by jek302:

My understanding is that attachment disorders more generally arise from neglect, separation, isolation, trauma, etc. Your pop psycho-analysis seems quite flawed to me.

I agree... and although I've never seen psychological studies which followed children breastfed beyond the age of 5, there's no apparent decrease in the social benefit to children breastfed between the ages of 3 and 5.  For children up to three years old, the longer they are breastfed, the lower their social anxiety as older children. 

quote:

Originally posted by gebuh:

I think this repulsion stems from the sexualization of boobies.
    We forget they're for feeding kids- not feeling up.

now, let's not get carried away... they're for feeling up too...

• Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Dec 8, 2007 1:54 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

I'm reminded of what Kinsey said - the only unnatural sex act is one that you cannot perform.

• justplayin104078 Amateur 69 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    40. Dec 8, 2007 2:21 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

News flash: We're not in the wild any longer. The lady is off her fuking rocker and clinging to her children's infancy. The mother has some attachment issues and is passing them off to the kids.

Breast feeding until the age of eight is not so much the problem as it is a symptom of deeper issues. She is afraid of of letting the children grow and establish their own independence.

the lady has needs that she should get over without her kids learning abnormal sh|t that could lead to other problems, even if its teasing.

• xBarry31 Rookie 98 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Dec 8, 2007 2:24 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

Old enough to drink from a cup means you have to wean? My 5 month old can drink from a sippy cup.

I think you are arguing a point no one is making.

The issue is about the 8 year old child breastfeeding.

• bjnax Rookie 25 posts since
    Jul 7, 2001
    42. Dec 8, 2007 2:27 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

...I think Paul is spending too much time at the office.

• Fionn mac Cumhail Rookie 288 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    43. Dec 8, 2007 2:49 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

personally interested in BFing an eight year old, that's pretty extreme by even the most dedicated La Leche League standards.

Whelp....that's the topic !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

----

-Fionn-[/URL" target="_blank">

Finn MacCool[/URL" target="_blank">

• jek302 Rookie 48 posts since
    Sep 6, 2003
    44. Dec 8, 2007 2:51 PM (in response to moroccangirl)

quote:

Your understanding is wrong. Write this down.

The problems with neglect, separation, isolation and trauma tend to create kids with ambivalent attachments to those around them. They just don't give a sh!t if you love them or leave them. And that's what you and carribougrrl are totally misunderstanding and why both of you are wrong.

What I've been pounding into your head is anxious attachment, which happens when the primary caregiver tends to coddle the child too long and too much but also tends to take far too great offense when the child asserts him or herself as an independent being. Basically, smothering. When mom is busting out the boob for a six-year old, she's smothering and that's fuked up.

You're not making any sense at all in terms of my understanding of attachment theory and attachment disorders. Disruptions in early attachments can lead to different kinds of developmentally inappropriate behaviors--from avoidant to ambivalent/anxious to disorganized.

Could you point me to some of your sources for "smothering" leading to "anxious attachment?" Esp. any dealing with breastfeeding children >4?  I'd love to agree with you that I'm "totally misunderstanding and wrong," but your post just isn't quite doing it for me.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...