Skip navigation

2541 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2005 12:53 PM by Grizdog
casual_rider Amateur 26 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2005 9:00 PM

burning pain

i have just started having a real pain between my shoulders when i ride,, it feels like a very tense muscle, but it really burns and hurts.  do i need to adjust something? handle bars? any suggestions?

I have been riding for a short time ( few months) but this just started a few days ago.  It hurts!

• Az Barber Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 22, 2005 6:00 AM (in response to casual_rider)
    Re: burning pain

I used to get that riding my motorcycle for the first few long rides of the year.

Adjustment of the bars and relation of the seat to the bars may help.

Make sure you're relaxing your upper body when you ride. Sometimes you have to do this conciously until it becomes habit.

If you work out at all, make sure you pay extra attention to those muscles... a shoulder press would probably be beneficial, but you'll know what works better than me. But if you build those muscles up, there will be less spasming and less tension.

Az

• VinnieU Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 23, 2005 2:53 PM (in response to casual_rider)

Burning pain between shoulders after riding I usually attribute to several things.

-bike fit/adjustment - On road bikes, saddle/handle-bar height should be level. When you are in riding position, do you feel you are leaning heavily on your hands (numb hands/fingers)? When in riding position you should feel balanced where you could pull your hands off the bars and NOT fall on your face. 

If you just bought a new bike, most shops will do some adjustments. Tell them about the pain in your back/shoulders.

-warm-up/loosen-up before riding, arms, shoulders, neck.

-riding technique - relax your grip, relax your arms, shoulders & neck. Stay loose, bend your elbows slightly  absorb shock. During rides, when safe to do so, scrunch your shoulders toward your ears a few times, let one arm at at time hang loose and shake your hands out,

Above all else, listen to your own body...pain is telling you something. Ease-up on exercise when you hurt!

IMPORTANT:  I'm not a licensed physician...so this last item should be taken only in view of your own personal health situation.

-Ibuprofen - "vitamin I" many riders call it. Before, during (4+ hour rides) and after helps reduce overall soreness, especially when your just starting to ride and using muscles that have been idle for a while. Generally, people can take 800 mg of Ibuprofen and take Tylenol too (they're different compounds).  

V.

• TurboMatic Pro 53 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jul 23, 2005 6:38 PM (in response to casual_rider)

Hi casual_rider, I know that you just started riding a few months back. I can tell you that you will go through a few changes as your body gets used to doing things it never did before. For example, it's not natural for weight to be on your shoulders, arms, wrists, and hands for hours without a break. Normally all your weight is on your legs (or your butt if you're sitting down) but not on your upper body parts. I had all the problems when first starting out but my worst were my wrists although they finally got stronger.

Another thing to consider is the "aggresiveness" of your bike mainly the height of the bars in relation to the seat. Be careful the guy at the bike shop didn't set it up like he likes it. Should start out less aggressive, get used to it, and make changes very slowly. Discuss this with the shop where you got your bike.

Good Luck!!

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jul 25, 2005 2:26 PM (in response to casual_rider)

Just one note about analgesics: I know that naproxen sodium and ibuprophen can mess with your electrolyte balance. I don't know anything definitive about Tylenol or Aspirin though. Don't be alarmed though, the effect isn't dramatic, but worth noting.

• MJSevern Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jul 26, 2005 6:00 AM (in response to casual_rider)

Dear Casual, the burn is coused by your "death grip" on your bars and locking up you elbows causing a rigid support system for your upper torso. The rigidity then vibrates to your shoulder sockets causing inflamation in the nerve of the shoulder which then is transerred right between the shouder blades.(your shoulder socket is taking all the pounding from the road) Make sure your elbows are flexed and relaxed and your grip on the bars is a resting place. Maybe try a bike fitting at your local shop.

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jul 29, 2005 12:53 PM (in response to casual_rider)

Are you doing any interval riding?  Ride easy for 5 minutes then fast for 5. On the easy ride you can focus on relaxing. Start by focusing on your hands then your arms and then your body also your feet then your legs, by the time you know it.  Its time to go fast again, its kinda of a mediation technique I use.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...