Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

395 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 8:55 PM by lenzlaw
JonDM Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2013 10:19 AM

Advice request re: a nagging ankle injury

Hello,

A few months ago I injured my left ankle attempting to transition (gradually) to minimalist running sneakers. It didn’t go away after a few weeks, so I consulted a doctor. Long story short:an MRI revealed tthat I have a type one (mildest form) hypotrophic tear in the tibialis posterior in my left ankle.

Despite some setbacks initially, it seemed like I was steadily improving with physical therapy and acupuncture. After I month I was able to train on an elliptical machine, do aerobics, and ride my bike. By Christmas, I was 75% improved. Then I visited my parents and decided to run a few miles since I didn’t have access to an elliptical machine. I ran four days in a row, and didn’t feel that bad. But then as I was travelling back to DC, I noticed pain in my ankle. It got even worse after Igot back to the city and helped pack up my office for our renovation. Between the running and the packing, I reinjured my ankle. That was 3 weeks ago, and there doesn’t seem to be any sign of improvement. I can’t even do my physical therapy stretches because they aggravate it. Forget about any kind of cardio, let alone running. And the acupuncture isn’t working as well as last time either. All I can do seemingly is sit on my couch with my leg elevated. Even sitting with my feet on the floor irritates it after a while. My doctor had orthotics custom made for my feet (my flatfootedness/pronation was apparently the main cause of the injury). I’ve been wearing them for the past two and a half weeks when I have to walk anywhere, but they don’t seem to be doing much of anything to heal my ankle (although they do keep the pain down somewhat).

Has anyone had an injury like this before? Can you please give me some insight? I’d like to know: how long it typically takes to heal; what the most effective treatments are; and the names of good doctors or physical therapists in the DC area. This injury has been incredibly frustrating, and I’d love to get some guidance from runners who have been through it before. I NEED to get back to running ASAP.

I’m male, 29 years old, 6’1’,and weigh about 185 lbs when I’m running (its closer to 190-195 lbs now). When I’m healthy I run 25 miles per week.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points