Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

274 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 8:35 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Droosmom Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 20, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2013 8:14 PM

Advice needed for a newbie!

I've been doing Couch to 5k and I just started on week 3. Week 3 kicked my butt!! For those not familiar with the program it's an interval training where they gradually add more running until at the end of nine weeks you are doing 30 minutes of running. Well, week 3 has me running for 3 minutes. I'm doing it on the treadmill because it's so cold outside (even though I started outside, I moved to the treadmill when it got down into the single digits). Anyway, I noticed that with 3 minutes of running, I was having to slow my pace on the treadmill just to make it through three minutes. My question is, should I go back and repeat week 2 at the faster pace, or try to stick with week 3 and just run at a slower pace? Which is more beneficial, running longer at a slower pace, or running faster for a shorter amount of time?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 20, 2013 8:35 PM (in response to Droosmom)
    Advice needed for a newbie!

For C25K, you're better off slowing a little and doing the longer runs.  This will benefit you more as you get further into the program, will be easier on your body, and it will make injury less likely.  A common mistake of beginning runners is running too fast.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points