Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

405 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 8:11 AM by ydiez RSS
ydiez Pro 120 posts since
Nov 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 21, 2013 2:31 AM

three Half Marathons in one month, any advice?

Hi all,

I am currently 34 and am in the best shape I have ever been, last year I run 3 half marathons and quite a few 5Ks and 10Ks. This season I have had some minor injuries that prevented me from starting the half marathon season as early as I would have liked, but now everything is fine and I am finally at my best. I have been running between 30 and 40 miles for the last three months (and arround 30 for the last year). I am not a fast runner, but I do ok (I hope to run next race under 1h 35 min).

I had planned to run two half marathons next months (30 days between the two). I already did this last year and there were no problems. One is sort of "compulsory" as my father in law is one of the organizers and the other is the event I have been training for the last two months. The thing is I recently decided to run a third half marathon which is scheduled in between the two. So my new schedule looks like this.

Feb 3rd -> Half Marathon number 1 (main event)

Feb 17th -> HM 2 (nice place, plan to go there with some of my running buddies)

March 3rd -> HM3 (I really HAVE or my father in law will be nagging me for a couple of weeks, besides I quite like the race too)

So the questions are:

- Any advice on how to do this with the least possible risk of injury? How should I plan my training for this month.

- Any advice in terms of diet? I am also considering my Physiothratpist somewhere in between race 2 and 3, would it be better to see her after race one? The main reasons for seing her is to continue the follow up in my (now healed) knee injuries but also to get a general checkup in any small pains that might appear.

- Finally, I will definetly give my best for the first race, but I can take it easy in the other two. I would, however, prefer to go easy only in one, which one would you choose?

Thanks all for your advice.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 21, 2013 6:02 AM (in response to ydiez)
    three Half Marathons in one month, any advice?

I'd be inclined to treat the 2nd one as a training run. You have experience racing the other two 4 weeks apart so you shouldn't do anything different training-wise (or diet-wise) except adding the 2nd race as a training run.  The problem, of course, is going with your running buddies, which may turn it into a competitive event no matter how hard you try not to.  Good luck!

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...