Skip navigation

310 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 12:10 PM by Starrli RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 21, 2013 8:28 AM

Cocoa Women's Half Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Cocoa Women's Half Marathon below Back to event details page.

• Leatherman Martha Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2010
    1. Jan 21, 2013 8:28 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Cocoa Women's Half Marathon Reviews

The communication leading up to the event was great, but some last-minute changes and poor organization the few days before the race were a problem. I made my hotel reservation based on the location of the race and the pasta party, then at the last minute the location of the pre-race party was changed.  There was no posted information about the party, and when I asked at the expo/registration, they specifically told me there would be a continuous shuttle from the Menger area to the party from 5:30 pm until 8:00 pm.   Well, we walked the mile from the race hotel to the shuttle pick-up place, and waited about 45 minutes--no shuttle.  Also, there wasn't any information in the packet about the party or even a ticket to the party.   It was OK. There are plenty of places to eat downtown, but supposedly the pre-race party was part of the rather steep registration fee. 

Then, they ran out of t-shirts for the 5K, and told my friend to come back after the race the next day and they would have them.  Well, they had given them all out BEFORE the 5K, so they have to mail one to my friend!  I meanyou have to pre-registersurely enough t-shirts would be basic!

The race course was beautiful.  Scenic and fun to run, but around miles 7-10 (I think--it was a couple of stations before mile 11), they ran out of water at the hydration stations! Even at mile 11 where they had water, they were running out of cups.  NOT safe!  

The pancakes, sausage, chicken mole, and chocolate after the race were great.  Could have been a little more, but it wasn't skimpy.  Overall, I would do it again because I live here, and the Marriott Plaza hotel was great!  Also, because of the beautiful course, but they need to tune things up a bit to make it worth the price.

• Starrli Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    2. Jan 22, 2013 12:10 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Cocoa Women's Half Marathon Reviews

TERRIBLE event!  The first water stop was out of water (BAD SIGN) and so were three other water stops along the course.  Most of the course was on sidewalk instead of the road, which is really hard on your legs.  The volunteers and spectators were very few and far between (which I know is not the race director's fault but did make for a crummy experience).  The expo had only five vendors (one selling hand lotions, one selling frames, two selling headbands and one running store).  They ran out of t-shirts so not every participant got a shirt.  I feel fortunate that I did get one but I spoke to a lady who said that running a 1/2 marathon was on her bucket list and this is the only one she would ever do; and she didn't even get a t-shirt out of it.  What a bad experience overall for those ladies who were out there for their first race.  I hope they don't think every race is like this, if they do they might not ever sign up for another one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...