Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

427 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 26, 2013 7:25 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
admanforosu Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2013 1:31 PM

Help! Severe back pain during C25k training

I am so thoroughly disappointed. I was about to end week 5 on my Couch to 5k app when I was overcome by some back pain on Monday.  This was after I got to the 5 min walk, 8 min run, 3min walk, 8 min run and 5 min walk.

The pain was bad but not severe and by Tuesday I felt we'll enough to do the 5 min walk, 20 min run, 5 min walk.

Thursday was an off day, but I did take 2 15 min walks and then last night I help run a baseball practice indoors.  The level of activity was light for me at best.  I sat on a ball bucket half the time throwing soft toss.

When I went to bed last night, my back pain was pretty bad. My wife, who is a runner, thought that my core my not be ready for any of the longer runs so we did some stretches. 

It when I woke up today, it was so bad I literally had to crawl to the bathroom.  The pain is in my lower back and depending on how I move, pain is there, under my stomach around the waist and into the front part of my upper thighs.  Even some painful sensations around my hips.  These are "achy" pains, not burning or sharp. But sometimes the ache lasts long enough it feels sharp or burning a little.  That's mainly when I'm moving.  The feeling is definitely the kind of feeling you would get in your chest or arms if you lifted too many weights

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be?

I went to a chiro today, he put me through some stretches and said I was really tight. He did the shock massager and then I went and got a full massage (kinda rough - fortunately the pain wasn't as severe as this morning).  I have since come home and done more shock massaging and put ice on it for 45 minutes.  Oh, and I've taken some back and body aspirin.  Right now, it tolerable. By no means is it gone.

I am a heavy guy.  But I've lost 14 lbs since jan 1. I am so afraid I'm gonna have to give this up and I want to run a 5k. My wife has been so excited I've started this.  I want to be able to run it and not quit.

What can I do to get past this?

When can I start back?

How do I avoid it in the future?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,145 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 26, 2013 7:25 AM (in response to admanforosu)
    Re: Help! Severe back pain during C25k training

When you are new to running, especially when you are trying to lose weight, it is important to allow time for all the necessary changes to take place. Putting together what your wife and doc have noted, there is a lot of splinting going on to freeze your activity while things heal up. That's your sign to take a break from training. Schedule a later 5k to allow time for a break. There will be plenty more while the weather is good.

Another important point is to avoid other activities that might stress the core muscles during the period of vulnerability that follows any new activity. The ball bucket may have contributed to such strain. I'd re-think that and be careful of posture, especially while sitting on anything. Avoid sitting as much as possible, because it shortens your hip flexors, leading to back strain when you stand. This also applies when running, which requires balanced posture.

Eventually, the running will strengthen your back, as it did mine. I have pretty much eliminated chronic back pains after years of running. Just remember that posture, 24 hours a day (including during sleep), is key. Don't force yourself to straighten up at this time, but start looking for postures and activities that contribute to anterior tightness and cause the back muscles to work harder. After a brief period of rest, gentle exercises and stretches to open up your posture and strengthen the back will help prevent future problems.

Something I got from reading Jeff Galloway is to envision yourself being pulled forward by the belt when you run. This leads to a more open and sustainable posture for endurance running.

Weight will accentuate any postural dangers, so consider strategies to time your nutrition for the best metabolic effect during your downtime, and you can continue burning fat throughout the day. Nutrition is the most important part of any weight-loss program.

Above all, have patience. It's only been a few weeks. You'll do fine, especially as the pounds melt off. Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points