Skip navigation

1204 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 12:17 PM by SusanJohnson21 RSS
DarkhorseOne Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 28, 2013 6:07 AM

Triathlon Training Help

For anybody new to Triathlon/Sprint Triathlon looking for advise from the veterans. My first question: How and what would be the best training help for the swimming event for those who cannot get to pool, lake, beach, etc..?

I myself am new to the Triathlon world. Have done a Sprint Tri so far and with work, life etc just cannot drive and take time to get to water or take swimming lessons.

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Plaz

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    1. Jan 28, 2013 11:16 AM (in response to DarkhorseOne)
    Triathlon Training Help

Hey Plaz,as you know swimming is an important part of Triathlon,you need to train in the pool at least a few times so you don't panic in the beginning frenzy or as I like to put it "swimming in the washing machine",if you can't a find pool to do some swimming I would stick to Duathlons,half marathons etc.Remember in swimming it's sink or swim,you can wing it on the bike/run portion but not the swim,good luck Mike....btw I'm 50 with 2 teenagers and 2 jobs and still "make"time to get to the pool.

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• LisaValentineNY Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 1, 2011
    2. Feb 7, 2013 1:05 PM (in response to DarkhorseOne)
    Triathlon Training Help

You should aim for at least one swim workout a week.  Masters swim workouts are found all over the U.S., go here for a listing of those places to swim:  http://www.usms.org/placswim/

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2012 Town of Huntington Sprint Tri: 2nd Pl W45-49
    • 2012 Mighty Hamptons 2012 Tri: 3rd Pl W45-49
    • 2012 Riverhead Rocks Oly Tri: 2nd Pl W45-49
    • 2011 L.I. Gold Coast Sprint Tri: 1st Pl W45-49
    • 2011 West Point Sprint Tri: 1st Pl W45-49
    • 2011 Mighty Hamptons Oly Tri: 3rd Pl W45-49
    • 2011 Town of Huntington Sprint Tri: 1st Pl W45-49
    • 2011 Beach2Battleship Half: 2nd Pl W45-49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 221 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Feb 20, 2013 8:47 AM (in response to DarkhorseOne)
    Triathlon Training Help

I agree with the other posts - there is no substitute workout for swimming.  I know sometimes its hard to find a pool that's close enough that you would be consistent in your workouts.  Most communities have a public pool with lap swimming open during the summer, that might be a good place to start.  I found a gym near my house with a pool and swam there for a few years before a masters program started up that was close enough for me.  I would highly recommend joining a masters group if you can.  If that's not your thing, print out some swim workouts (lots of free training plans online, but I also like the Active plans) and head to the nearest pool.  When I first started training for triathlons the only pool that was close to my house was only 15 yards long if that, but I made due.

• SusanJohnson21 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 20, 2013
    4. Feb 20, 2013 12:17 PM (in response to DarkhorseOne)
    Triathlon Training Help

I need help with this too! Any advice?

www.all-smoothie-recipes.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points