Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1659 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 3:56 AM by gopikumar10
Labman1 Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 30, 2013 3:39 PM

First run since July

Well, I am recovering from Peroneal tendon surgery, and I got out today with the dog for the first time since July and we trail ran 4.5 miles. It Wasn't pretty, and it certainly wasn't fast, 39:00 for 3 miles. BUT I'm sitting at my computer with a smile on my face and thinking, maybe I'll be okay. I don't really have a question, I just needed to tell someone.  I'M BACK....  so it's like being a newbie in a sense, it felt great and it feels new again.  it's been a long road to recovery and I still do PT daily, I even doubted at times if I'd ever run again!  But today was a milestone, a watershed moment.... The dog is dead tired too, hasn't run like that since July.  

• alohakt Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    1. Feb 6, 2013 9:40 AM (in response to Labman1)
    First run since July

Congrats!! Glad to hear you're back out there and feeling good about that! I can understand completely the "new-again" feelings. I'm finally getting into regular miles after an extended break due to a complicated pregnancy and recovery. I did my last official run in May--though i barely ran through February, March, or April, and my first run back was a Turkey Trot. It's a mixed bag when you see the slow times, and in my case there was a lot of soreness (bordering on pain!), but it felt sooo good to break a sweat again!! (And my dogs are super-happy to hit the roads again!)

Keep it up and enjoy every run! Your times will bounce back, but I've found that every run feels so much better than they did before--like I'm not taking my fitness for granted anymore. :) Being a newbie again has helped me appreciate running in different ways than before, and I'm soaking in that these days!!

Happy running!

• Sudzyrules Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2012
    2. Feb 6, 2013 11:35 PM (in response to Labman1)
    First run since July

Congrats!!! I did a similar thing just last week. I did some races last year and was keeping up with the training post races, then in early October I got Mono. For the 4th time! Needless to say it threw a spanner in the works! But I've recovered for the most part, started back at the gym in the new year, and last week we finally got some snow to cover our ice-slicked sidewalks and I took my dog for a run around the block (3 mi). I have to remind myself too that times don't matter. All that matters is I'm out running and I feel good :) I hope you continue to improve and stay healthy!

• gopikumar10 Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 6, 2013
    3. Feb 7, 2013 3:56 AM (in response to Labman1)
    First run since July

great man..!!! I do that to in november it feels great....

Facebook Covers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...