Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

584 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 8:24 AM by Kellyanne43 RSS
Kellyanne43 Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 7, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2013 8:18 AM

more than a week

Hi I have been a runner for over a year now, and just three weeks ago I developed what I believe is a shin splint in my left leg I had pain while at rest and when I touched my shin as well as when I attempted to run it hurt so I stopped right away and stretched out my shins , I talked to my tranier at my gym who I have been working out with and he advised that I do R.I.C.E which I had and I went out and got an ace bandage and elevated my leg at night and before I would go to bed I iced my shin, and I layed off running and did the elpitical and the stationary bike.  I also got insoles for my running shoes and I got a calf compressior for my calf while I use when I was working out, just this week I started to feel alot better the shin so I eased back into getting back on the tredmill and last night I went for a slow jog and my leg didn't hurt during or after, also before hand I streched out my legs really well before I even started to work out. I have been doing heal walking and calf strechting and walking on my tip toes as well I warmed up too before I did a slow jog, so my leg felt alright, then last night I decided not to ice it or put the ace bandage on, and then this morning it was tender to the touch but not painful my question is is this normal to have a shin splint for over three weeks and to have to ice it often? I want to get back to running but I am nervous....I don't want to cause futher damage...I need to be able to run....I just want to know if this is normal for it to take so long to feel completely healed?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 1, 2013 7:13 PM (in response to Kellyanne43)
    more than a week

Shin splints are like any other over-use injury and can take weeks or even months to resolve.  I had shin splints for several years but it would only bother me during fast running/races.  I do regular exercises to strengthen both shins and calf muscles to prevent recurrence.  You might also want to post in The Med Tent to get answers from people who are more knowledgable.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points