Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

814 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 7:35 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Dsyms Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 5, 2013 5:52 PM

Mama needs new shoes

My most recent pair of running shoes has been the Mizuno Wave Inspire 8. They're good stability shoes, I guess I pronate a bit, but I feel like I have the weight of bricks on my feet with these shoes. Can anyone suggest a womans lightweight stability shoe, or should I give a more minimal one a try and see how it goes?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Feb 6, 2013 6:32 AM (in response to Dsyms)
    Mama needs new shoes

Mama,  I think you need to go to a running store that will watch you run and recommend shoe, then you can try it on and see how it feels.  The incorrect shoe can lead to issues. Hard for anyone on the boards to give you your needs with shoes.  

• Alfred Fordan Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010
    2. Feb 10, 2013 1:43 PM (in response to Dsyms)
    Mama needs new shoes

IMO, the less shoe you can get away with, the better. I highly recommend New Balance 730s. They are lightweight, yet still offer some cushioning. This is probably considered a minimalist shoe, so I probably would not recommend it unless you have good running form (land on your mid or forefoot under your center of gravity with good posture and high cadence).

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Feb 10, 2013 7:35 PM (in response to Dsyms)
    Mama needs new shoes

I have worn the Inspires and never thought of them as that heavy.  But your perception is what counts.  I could recommend shoes that work for me but they might be terrible for you.  My current shoes, heavy to light, are Asics DS Trainer, Mizuno Wave Precision, Saucony Mirage, Saucony Kinvara 2.

Take a look at the latest Runners World shoe reviews(March, 2013, I think) to get some ideas of shoes that meet your needs (some stability, enough support for a marathon, relatively light weight).  Then head to your friendly running store (NOT a "big box" store like Dicks) to try on as many as you can. Run around the store in each, or on a treadmill if they have one (some will even let you run a little outside).  Pick the one you think will work the best and feels good.  Personally I find that what feels best usually works best.  Remember that you'll be running 26 miles in them.  Do at least one run over 12 miles in them before the marathon.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...