Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4483 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 11:34 AM by gilbertholdings RSS
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2013 1:28 PM

My hardest run is not my long run

Anyone else out there find that their "hardest" run of the week is not the long run?  For the last serveral weeks I have run 4 (easy), 4 (hills - only 1 mile of repeats) and 6 (LSR) or 4 (easy) 4 tempo (for 2 of the miles) and 6 (LSR).    Each time I find that the 4 easy (which takes place on sundays) is a struggle.  I have no get up and go, my legs are tired and my mind has little determination.  (FYI the LSR takes place on Friday) 

What is your hardest run of the week and how do you overcome it?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Feb 26, 2013 2:07 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hi Stephanie,

I can certainly relate.  Typically, I have no idea what is going to happen until I get out the door every morning and start moving.  I would just to vary your training schedule based on how you are feeling and responding to a particular course on a specific day.  It is not uncommon for the 'easy miles' to turn into challenges, especially a few days out from the LR or following intense cross training, for example. 

Pace is also a factor, so those tempo runs also require a great deal of energy and place additional strain on the body. 

Again, I would probably just recommend taking a look at constantly changing your training routines based on how you feel and preparing for a particular event.  Entering additional 5k events might be a good idea, along with some 8k and 10k opportunities.  There are a lot of guidelines available, but they are suggestions to build endurance, speed and so on.  The main thing to remember is that you are the best judge for how your mind and body can meet the greatest confidence, so just trust your instincts about what to do (some days faster, fewer steps vs. slower, longer distance), but be proud of yourself for every mile. 

To answer your specific question about days of the week, I would have to say Thursdays are the most difficult because that is typically when most runners over-train for weekend races.  (I am on of those, so usually that day represents my last chance to really push the limits). 

Wishing you all the best!

• morris46 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    3. Mar 6, 2013 10:42 PM (in response to edensacres)

Hello, my name is Juan Carlos,  your LR should not be the hardest run of the week, LR should be done as an aerobic workout, You should do one day of hard run follow by a day of a recovery run which should be very easy. I think you should get a heart rate monitor and follow your heart rate zones, it will be better for you, when you get more experience then you can use your pace for the different types of workouts. For example you can do speed work one day the easy next day, then do a tempo run or work on your vo2 max the next day and do a easy run the next day, then you can do a longer run on weekend, actually is not consider a long run unless you do over maybe 16 miles, anything less thatn that should be call a medium long run. Long runs are good to work on your aerobic and mental training and this are done when you are getting ready to run a marathon. Now, remember intensidy is diferent than volume, when you do an aerobic or a long run that is volume if you do intervals, mile repeats, vo2 max, tempo, that is intensidy. so everytime you work on something lets say tempo you should wait at least 2 days before you do tempo again an so on. Now if you find out what are your training zones it will be better, for instance if your zone 3 is 10 minute mile, then  your recovery runs should be done at about a minute and a half slower, your tempo should be a little faster, and your intervals or repeats should be done at a 5k pace.

• gilbertholdings Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 6, 2013
    5. Mar 7, 2013 11:34 AM (in response to edensacres)

i find that for myself, i tend to under eat for short runs, which then gives me less energy.  if i'm not working out, i may cut back on food since i'm not expending the energy.  if i know i have a long run, i'll make sure i don't cut back, but if i have a short run i'll often cut back without really thinking about it.  that may just be my case and my body is pretty tempermental about those things, but it's a thought for yourself.

Negative Ion Bracelets, Necklaces, and Accessories

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...